Recording sound and camera noise

Matteo Cocco

Hello guys,

I´m planning a shoot for the beginning of June.

Super8 seems to be the best option for the visuals of the short film.

I have only one concern. I´ll be shooting with a Beaulieu 4008 super8 camera, which is very very loud. It might be hard to record sound with all that noise....

Does somebody have any ideas on how to solve that problem?

Are there any kind of blimps for super8 cameras?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Happy Easter to all of you,

Matteo

Hello,

I faced the same problem when I wanted to shoot super8 with a recording device. Most people said a thick blanket would suffice, but as I had time, I built my own, and I was amazed that it blocked almost all sound!

I made up a little website attempting to deal with sound recording with super8 for the budget restricted, it is at:

http://mishkin.yolasite.com/sound-recording.php

I also made up a page showing pics of the blimp I made, total cost around $50. Depending on the mic you use, and distance, this camera/blimp set up is perfectly silent.

http://mishpics.yolasite.com/super8-blimp-designs.php

good luck!

Hi

I haven't blimped my camera, though sometimes I have covered it up with a towel, especially when filming in dialogue small rooms. I have realised that a good directional microphone placed well away from the camera and pointed near the action/dialogue works wonders at eliminating camera noise, I use a Rode NTG-1 shotgun microphone, it doesn't pick up the camera noise at all. I have used the 'the so called quiet' Nizo 6080 and the noisy Bauer A512

P

Hello guys,

I´m planning a shoot for the beginning of June.

Super8 seems to be the best option for the visuals of the short film.

I have only one concern. I´ll be shooting with a Beaulieu 4008 super8 camera, which is very very loud. It might be hard to record sound with all that noise....

Does somebody have any ideas on how to solve that problem?

Are there any kind of blimps for super8 cameras?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Happy Easter to all of you,

Matteo

I am shooting some dialogue on super 8 (7219) today. Here is what I am going to do. First of all, my camera is one of the quietest I have ever used. Nizo 6080 that I bought off of a forum member here several years back (Matt Pacini).

•I will use a blanket even though my camera is quiet. Just an added level of insurance.

•Do head and tail slates. My camera is not crystal sync, yet it holds sync for 10 to 15 seconds. crystal sync camera won't have to.

•Pull the camera back away from scene as much as possible.

•Do AUDIO ONLY wild takes, IMMEDIATELY after your last take. Actors will do it almost exactly the same way they just did. Easiest, best way to get ADR right on set. You use these for wider shots where mouths aren't as prevelent.

There is some work to do and even with all this effort, you might still get camera noise. Best solution is to shoot with a quiet camera. You are in Germany? I know that there are plenty of good super 8 cameras available there. I would make the effort first to find a quiet camera.