so we are losing 7265 and 7231 Plus-x

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I watched "Good Night and Good Luck". A B&W film from 2005. I kept noticing tones of green and red on faces and in the back ground. Turns out it was shot with 5218 500T color neg in S35.

Glad it's not just me! I saw a print of this at the cinema some time ago. It's a great film but I was constantly distracted by how bad it looked. This has always been my experience with desaturated colour neg films, tho that one especially stands out in my mind, perhaps because it was such a good film let down by the way it looked. I think a lot of what you describe comes from making prints on colour print stock too. Really, really bad idea!

I'd actually rather shoot video and desaturate that than desaturate colour neg.

My feeling towards double x is only a bit better. It's not my favourite film stock tho I have seen very skilled people get good results with it but it lacks the magic.

Desaturated colour neg is just bad tho.

love

Freya

• 3 weeks later...

Just a point of clarity here, FOMAPAN R100 cannot be processed as a negative, only as reversal. I believe this is because of its silver anti-halation layer. Processed as negative, you simply get a roll of black film. This silver has to be bleached off in the reversal process.

My lab Movie and Sound in Florence process Fomapan 100 R a negative, surely it do, so it is possible...

• Premium Member

My lab Movie and Sound in Florence process Fomapan 100 R a negative, surely it do, so it is possible...

Different versions of the data sheet differ on the processing of R-100 as a negative. presumably some versions use the silver layer and some use a dye, like B&W negative.

Mind you, even a silver anti-halo layer MIGHT be removed in the bleach, as that is before the positive layer is developed.

If using it as a neg is needed, you would want to do a test with the same emulsion as your production. using the same reversal process. That test can also be used to determine the effective speed.

• Premium Member

No.

A lot is possible in Italy but not this. They presumably meant PXR and TXR, not Fomapan R. Believe me, I have processed Fomapan R from 1999 to 2008. Should suffice to know.