how much is a red one?

Andrew Armentrout

I was in the market for a red one for a short film im making and I was wondering what would need to be purchased in order to use the camera for any basic practical filmmaking needs (lenses, accessories, etc) beyond just the body itself and the price range I'd be looking at. What lenses would I need? Also how exactly does a red one operate? is there a hard drive built into the camera or would cables need to be run to an external computer to record the highest quality footage?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
I was in the market for a red one for a short film im making and I was wondering what would need to be purchased in order to use the camera for any basic practical filmmaking needs (lenses, accessories, etc) beyond just the body itself and the price range I'd be looking at. What lenses would I need? Also how exactly does a red one operate? is there a hard drive built into the camera or would cables need to be run to an external computer to record the highest quality footage?

This sounds like a job for... ahh, never mind.

I hear some of the early "non-obsolescent" RED One cameras can be had for a couple of hundred dollars now that people are dumping them to get into the Alexa game . . . :lol:

in two years, think of what a RED ONE original release, will cost. Under two grand?

• Premium Member
I hear some of the early "non-obsolescent" RED One cameras can be had for a couple of hundred dollars now that people are dumping them to get into the Alexa game . . . :lol:

Really? There are thousands of Red's out there, and Arri will make only dozens of Alexa's this year. Denny and Otto are already in line for a bunch of them, so anybody who orders now has some waiting to do. I really don't see Alexa as a competitor for the fanboy base. Alexa is a solid full-range professional entertainment industry tool. Red is a very high end pro-sumer product. Sure, there's some overlap, but they're clearly centered on different parts of the market.

-- J.S.

Really? There are thousands of Red's out there, and Arri will make only dozens of Alexa's this year. Denny and Otto are already in line for a bunch of them, so anybody who orders now has some waiting to do. I really don't see Alexa as a competitor for the fanboy base. Alexa is a solid full-range professional entertainment industry tool. Red is a very high end pro-sumer product. Sure, there's some overlap, but they're clearly centered on different parts of the market.

-- J.S.

Sorry, I was being facetious. I heard some of the local owners of RED cameras discuss the rental market and the introduction of Alexa and its impact on said market and my brain just ran amok. I am sure that the RED One cameras will hold a little better than that. But it is true that most people willing to rent cameras always want whatever just came out vs a camera a couple of years old that may still be perfectly usable. Since a lot of the people who originally bought RED cameras did so under the assumption that they would rent out like hot cakes, you never know, it mas still happen that some of these cameras end up on eBay for a fraction of their original price in the not so distant future.

Also, RED keeps threatening to release Epic cameras, furthering the anxiety of RED One owners. My impression is that since RED never referred to the One as a "prosumer" camera, the assumption is that it was all pro, and now that several other more advanced digital cinematography cameras are being released the pro rental market may follow that direction.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

. My impression is that since RED never referred to the One as a "prosumer" camera, the asumption is that it was all pro, and now that several other cameras that are all pro are being released the rental market is goint to follow that direction.

I'd have thought that the lower cost Scarlet with the S35 sensor actually being physically available would have a larger impact on most of the RED One owners.

I'd have thought that the lower cost Scarlet with the S35 sensor actually being physically available would have a larger impact on most of the RED One owners.

That too. Except, no one seems to know when any of these cameras will be available for sale yet. The net is ablaze with the introduction of the Alexa, and tentative plans for its release later this year are in place --but as John points out and, for all practical purposes -- it may still be a couple of years before any of these yet-to-be-released cameras have a significant impact on the production world.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

That too. Except, no one seems to know when any of these cameras will be available for sale yet. The net is ablaze with the introduction of the Alexa, and tentative plans for its release later this year are in place --but as John points out and, for all practical purposes -- it may still be a couple of years before any of these yet-to-be-released cameras have a significant impact on the production world.

You don't need large numbers to have an impact at the higher end, but I imagine that would be reasonable time scale for the Alexa to become relatively common. Although, not in the RED One numbers.

You don't need large numbers to have an impact at the higher end, but I imagine that would be reasonable time scale for the Alexa to become relatively common. Although, not in the RED One numbers.

Definitely, those who can afford the Alexa will be using them before the rest of us. And yes, it may never attain the unit numbers that RED puts out. But it already seems to be setting the standard as to what a high end digital cinematography camera should be. So the onus falls on RED and Sony et al to follow up on something that is at least perceived to be in the same ballpark.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• Premium Member
-- it may still be a couple of years before any of these yet-to-be-released cameras have a significant impact on the production world.

I think we'd have to be very very lucky to score an Alexa package in time for a new show starting this TV season. But come next pilot season, I'd bet we'll be using them. Features will have them first -- The new Emmerich picture is already shooting on Alexa's. So, I'd say a significant impact late this year.

-- J.S.

• 3 months later...

I think we'd have to be very very lucky to score an Alexa package in time for a new show starting this TV season. But come next pilot season, I'd bet we'll be using them. Features will have them first -- The new Emmerich picture is already shooting on Alexa's. So, I'd say a significant impact late this year.

-- J.S.

What is the new Emmerich picture? I take it it is yet another action pic. Is there a definitive list of movies that were or are about to be shot using Red cameras? I know Know1ng and District 9 were.

• Premium Member

Did you read any of the "pinned" articles at the top of this folder?

You could also go over to www.red.com and download a PDF of the instruction manual.

As for lenses, the whold idea behind high-end single-sensor cameras like the Genesis, RED, D-20 etc is that they use can use standard 35mm movie camera lenses.

In other words, as far as lens TYPES are concerned you can consider the Red as a drop-in replacement for a film camera.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, that's great...

Jim Jannard actually offered $200,000 each for Offhollywood's RED ONEs #6 and #7, and $175,000 for Dino's #31 (which is the RED ONE that has shot the most feature films). And he values RED ONE cameras under #100 as being worth $40,000 as collectors items in the future.

And, given the full trade in offered for the EPIC, and the big discount for the other people (actually, most RED users) who want to keep their RED ONE and get an EPIC as well, and then the fact that with the Mysterium X sensor in the RED ONE gives them similar dynamic range at far higher resolution than Alexa, I don't think any of them are worried in the slightest!

Edited by Stephen Gentle

What is the new Emmerich picture? I take it it is yet another action pic.

Nope, it´s on William Shakespeare (no joke)

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/2010/03/22/side-by-side-arri-alexa-and-red-mysteriumx-camera-test/

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/2010/03/30/celluloid-r-i-p-red-mysteriumx-arri-alexa/

Frank

Edited by Frank Glencairn

• Premium Member

Jim Jannard actually offered $200,000 each for Offhollywood's RED ONEs #6 and #7, and $175,000 for Dino's #31 (which is the RED ONE that has shot the most feature films). And he values RED ONE cameras under #100 as being worth $40,000 as collectors items in the future.

That's pretty funny! So you're claiming that someone was offered $200k for their Red and didn't except? Hilarious!

Where do people come up with this stuff!?

That's pretty funny! So you're claiming that someone was offered $200k for their Red and didn't except? Hilarious!

Where do people come up with this stuff!?

Collecting is a pretty nutty thing, the prices go up and down depending on how much people emotionally want something that will just sit on a shelf. This has nothing to do with the real market value of a working camera, although I'd be surprised at a couple of hundred dollars, which could be a forum rhetorical price than a real one.

I'd rather have an Aston Martin DB5 than a early RED One, even though I'm not a car freak.

• Premium Member

I wonder if there is any connection with 'stage 1' Zero trade in & 'stage 2' reduced trade in! I suspect in reality Red did not want 6000 cameras traded in for $105,000,000.

Heh, that's great...

• Premium Member

Collecting is a pretty nutty thing, the prices go up and down depending on how much people emotionally want something that will just sit on a shelf. This has nothing to do with the real market value of a working camera, although I'd be surprised at a couple of hundred dollars, which could be a forum rhetorical price than a real one.

I'm aware of that of course. The implication that someone was offered $400k for two Reds and said, "no thanks" is the funny part to me. Clearly this is just a myth that is floating around.

I'm aware of that of course. The implication that someone was offered $400k for two Reds and said, "no thanks" is the funny part to me. Clearly this is just a myth that is floating around.

The exchange was rather public.

If someone had asked to buy MY RED for 200k, I would of course sell...

• Premium Member

The exchange was rather public.

If someone had asked to buy MY RED for 200k, I would of course sell...

Whilst that is true, I suspect there were other communications in confidence.

Whats interesting is those were not even the original 'rare' cameras but replacement X cameras that have had audio board upgrades.