ND + IR filter vs. IRND filter

I'm thinking in investing in some 4x5.65 ND filters, but it just dawned on me that with all this digital now days, where IR is a problem especially when using ND, maybe I shouldn't.

I know they make an IR filter to use with NDs, but also make IR-ND filters. Are IRND filters better than using an IR filter with an ND?

• Premium Member
I'm thinking in investing in some 4x5.65 ND filters, but it just dawned on me that with all this digital now days, where IR is a problem especially when using ND, maybe I shouldn't.

I know they make an IR filter to use with NDs, but also make IR-ND filters. Are IRND filters better than using an IR filter with an ND?

Less glass is generally a good thing. The con to all that is that you won't want the IR filtration if and when you shoot film.

• Premium Member

Yes, the less glass the better. Every surface has the potential to collect dirt and cost you resolution, make weird reflections, etc.

How much do you use Red cameras? They're the only one that had a severe IR problem. With the new MX sensor, they may have added IR filtration to their OLPF, which is what the rest of them do.

-- J.S.

I really don't do a great deal of RED work, but here and there. Not enough to buy a filter specifically for only the RED. I always push Directors to shoot film, but for the low budgets, I mostly get a lot of digital work. I was keeping IR Pollution in mind because I thought it was a common problem in most digital cameras, and many to come. But if that isn't the case, I should just stick to a set of regular NDs right?