Shooting digital stills for 24fps cine reference.

Jase Ryan

I know many cinematographers now have a DSLR with them on set when they shoot film. I'm just trying to figure out how to set up my DSLR to get me the closest approximation of what my Arri will be getting. If I'm shooting 5219 500T at 24fps with a 180 degree shutter, what would you set your DSLR at to mimic that or reproduce an images that resembles it?

Thanks

Edited by Jase Ryan

Probably ISO 500, White Balance Tungsten, F stop is whatever's on your motion camera, shutter is 1/48 (or 1/50, which is darned close). Might want to make some picture profile settings too, mainly to decrease saturation and contrast a tad.

Edited by Aaron Moorhead

• Premium Member

The DP's I know of who do this use the stills to communicate with their dailies colorist -- They go into PhotoShop with a monitor set up using Spyder, and make examples of the looks they want.

-- J.S.

Really, why set it like the camera is set? Am I missing something here? You are taking a still image and you are most likely doing it without a tripod. Take an image that is sharp and exposed similar to how you wanna expose the negative. I assume you are taking the photos to judge ideas like contrast and color rather than exposure.

Guest Stephen Murphy

I use 1/50th shutterspeed, set the asa to match the stock, use a prime lens on my slr that can open to 1.8 so I can shoot at the same stop and I have a small screw in filter tray that Lee make which allows me to use a 4 x 4 inch filter incase im using a diffusion or colour filter. The thing to bear in mind is that its a good reference but its only a reference - it helps give an idea of your intentions to the colourist - but its not your neg so dont use it to make any critical decisions.