Mixing EX3 images with 5D images

Chris Lange

Hi,

Could one feasibly mix EX3 footage with 5D footage so that an audience wouldn't recognize the change? Could one match the colors exactly?

Could a single interior night scene run seamlessly between use of these two cameras, for an edit that cuts between them?

Thanks for any discussion on this matter,

Chris

Hi,

Could one feasibly mix EX3 footage with 5D footage so that an audience wouldn't recognize the change? Could one match the colors exactly?

Could a single interior night scene run seamlessly between use of these two cameras, for an edit that cuts between them?

Thanks for any discussion on this matter,

Chris

you can but try to match as best as you can on set. The 5D and 7D have a softer almost yellow and magenta tint to the skin tones and smooth them out more than the EX. Also shoot to keep away from as much noise as possible. In coloring, I find I have to remove a little of those two colors to get a match. If you have a 35mm adapter and can use matching glass, that goes a long way too. I've done it on several projects. It works but it has extra work.

I just shot a short on 550D and EX1, and they can certainly be used together, but you do have to tweak things in post. Just make sure you tweak the picture profile to get the highest dynamic range possible on the EX3. Also the 5D will have less perceived resolution. It will be softer and have aliasing/moire problems where the EX3 will not. It's also a good idea to avoid (or at least keep in mind the problem) tungsten light, as the EX3 have problems with IR pollution when shooting under tungsten lighting.

• 3 months later...

An EX3 has around 2 stop greater dynamic range over a 5D. An EX3 will leave the 5D for dead in everything except shallow DoF and low light sensitivity.

but will these images edit together? has anyone got an example on vimeo or youtube, or something?

but will these images edit together? has anyone got an example on vimeo or youtube, or something?

A good colorist should be able to match the contrast and color of the footage - most likely the 'better' footage will have to be degraded to match the less good footage.

The thing that can't be matched is the lens and DOF properties of the cameras which are in this case significantly different. This will depend how you use the cameras and what you are shooting.

If it's a live concert the audience probably won't notice or be bothered by the differences,

If you're shooting a conversation and cutting reverses on the ex3 and 7d the difference will probably be more distracting.

Try to use the Ex3 for shots where the dof doesn't matter as much, such as wide shots or inserts and you have a better chance of getting away with it...

what if i shot static shoots such as anything on sticks with the 5D and the hand held freaky moving scenes with the EX3 do you reckon it'll work? sorry if i'm repeating myself i have trouble understanding things first go.

cheers.