Kodachrome 40. Problem !

julien doumenjou

Hi, anybody know where I can process Kodachrome 40?

I just shoot a short fiction with a friend of mine who's in a filmaking-school, she got the rolls from her professor, he didn't tell her it was hard to find a place to process nor how old was the films. He sold the rolls 20$ each. Was it fare? I wonder...

You don't say where you are, but process-paid K40 mailers are still being accepted in Europe. You send then straight to Lausanne now and the forward to Dwayne's. In the US, you can still send them (with payment) direct to Dwayne's. They stop running K40 this autumn.

You'd think a tutor wouldn't cheat his students, but why did he sell them unboxed? The expiry date is on the box. A few years isn't too bad if they've been kept well, but I might want to test for an important project.

Good luck, It's great stock. I haven't shot super-8 since K40 went and I doubt I will again.

The expiry date is on the box.

I understand now why she got the film without the boxes! Damn! I didn't check anything because the films came from a school I thought I could trust. I used it already. I'm in US so I'll go for Dwayne's. Thanks for that. I wonder how it's gonna look like!

The expiry date is on the box.

I understand now why she got the film without the boxes! Damn! I didn't check anything because the films came from a school I thought I could trust. I used it already. I'm in US so I'll go for Dwayne's. Thanks for that. I wonder how it's gonna look like!

Kodachrome is a hardy stock. I shot a role 5 years ago, and just had it processed, and it looked incredible.

Chris

You don't say where you are, but process-paid K40 mailers are still being accepted in Europe. You send then straight to Lausanne now and the forward to Dwayne's. In the US, you can still send them (with payment) direct to Dwayne's. They stop running K40 this autumn.

Are you sure this is true? I thought maybe that was true for stills but not cine film?

There was a big hoo-ha about making the deadline at the time?

Would love if it was the case as I have a roll of process paid 16mm and didn't make the deadline with it!

love

Freya

European Kodachrome ciné prepaid mailers have not been accepted for years. You need to send the films directly to Dwayne's labs before end of 2010 or use a service like Wittner's which is better if you have only 1 or 2 films.

BTW Kodachrome 135 cassettes are still handled by the Swiss office and just are sent to the lab in USA

Edited by Andries Molenaar

• Premium Member

It's kind of sad how the discussion is more about getting something for free than just paying for the processing. All the time and postage that is going to be wasted not just by the filmmaker, but by all the service people dealing with the film at every step of the way, just in the hopes of getting a few rolls of kodachrome film processed for free?

It's not really free if it takes such an effort.

http://www.super-8mm.com and http://www.super-8mm.net should have updated information on processing kodachrome forty film, the final deadline appears to be near the end of 2010.

It's kind of sad how the discussion is more about getting something for free than just paying for the processing. All the time and postage that is going to be wasted not just by the filmmaker, but by all the service people dealing with the film at every step of the way, just in the hopes of getting a few rolls of kodachrome film processed for free?

http://www.super-8mm.com and http://www.super-8mm.net should have updated information on processing kodachrome forty film, the final deadline appears to be near the end of 2010.

Its kind of sad that some people don't understand that for some people free process for even one roll could be nice and important for their personal monthly income.

Also btw there are people that have to go to the post, to send their films for processing because there are no labs that process super 8 film in their country.

Such an effort...

Are you sure this is true? I thought maybe that was true for stills but not cine film?

There was a big hoo-ha about making the deadline at the time?

Would love if it was the case as I have a roll of process paid 16mm and didn't make the deadline with it!

love

Freya

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2006/mo...kodachrome.html

From the Dwayne's site: "Please note: current plans are to discontinue the processing of Kodachrome Movie Film at the end of December 2010."

Tim

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2006/mo...kodachrome.html

From the Dwayne's site: "Please note: current plans are to discontinue the processing of Kodachrome Movie Film at the end of December 2010."

Tim

Tricky too speculate but...

This strictly means that by demand or other factors the end-date could be postponed :)

It's not really free anyway, I paid for it. Thats why it's called "process paid".

It's about the extent to which Kodak are prepared to honour that commitment and from a practical viewpoint they have to have some kind of point beyond which they draw the line.

Some of us are just checking we have the right info. I've been trying to find out where to send my still kodachrome film for some time now as I thought the lab in switzerland was completely closed. So at least I know where to send it now. It's preety annoying if you end up with really expensive film that you end up having to just chuck in the bin.

It may also end up that way with some of the Kodachrome movie film I have. A great shame but it's a case of having the money and getting the film shot.

I'm trying to allocate some money just to Kodachrome this year as it is a difficult time, so it's very upsetting about the plus-x news just now as my funds are already allocated.

It's just really difficult as I have very limited resources just now.

love

Freya

• Premium Member
Its kind of sad that some people don't understand that for some people free process for even one roll could be nice and important for their personal monthly income.

Also btw there are people that have to go to the post, to send their films for processing because there are no labs that process super 8 film in their country.

Such an effort...

I think it is great that you may be on a fixed income but still are a filmmaker and are active.

My point is is we shouldn't be advocating this mailer procedure as a "freebie". It is not a freebie. Several companies, services, their paid employees, their time, all must get involved to give the customer with an yellow mailer something for "free".

For those that can pay, paying and appreciating that the service exists is what matters more than pretending there is an imaginary free service that just magically exists.

I think it is great that you may be on a fixed income but still are a filmmaker and are active.

My point is is we shouldn't be advocating this mailer procedure as a "freebie". It is not a freebie. Several companies, services, their paid employees, their time, all must get involved to give the customer with an yellow mailer something for "free".

For those that can pay, paying and appreciating that the service exists is what matters more than pretending there is an imaginary free service that just magically exists.

I didn't say im on a fixed income.

About the mailers it was a question of clarification. By asking it isn't a try to trick, disrespect or get a free job done by the Dwaynes working people. I am pretty sure that if it was true, the yellow mailers process, the Dwaynes would trade the envelopes for money from Kodak, and as Freya Black says at some point we paid for it. Since the deadline is gone we have to pay.

Those than can or cant pay, pay by sacrificing or not other things to have fun or make art with film.

FREE is long time dead.

I really don't understand what this sensitivity regarding the respect for the working people etc, which i share and advocate, has to do with the thread.

End of 2010 we have to hurry. But since there lots of k40 around ebay i suspect theres gone be an update to the deadline.

No they do NOT, the customer actually pays for all this, which is why it was called process paid film. In fact there is an argument that perhaps Kodak should refund those people with unused mailers.

Non the less most people are not complaining they are instead working to get up to date info and to work with the newest situation. I see nothing wrong with that.

I'm not sure where you have got the idea that the mailer system was a freebie. They were always referred to as process paid film and you always paid a premium for this.

There are not several companies involved just Dwaynes and Kodak. Kodak outsource the european processing to Dwaynes as it was cheaper than keeping the swiss plant open. A cost cutting exercise.

Dwaynes have never processed the film for free, even in the U.S. Kodak have always paid them for this.

In turn the customer has always had to pay extra for process paid film.

It's not nice to insinuate that honest people who have paid for a service are out to get something for nothing, and are trying to swindle the system in some way. This is clearly not the case.

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

• Premium Member
It's not really free anyway, I paid for it. Thats why it's called "process paid".

It's about the extent to which Kodak are prepared to honour that commitment and from a practical viewpoint they have to have some kind of point beyond which they draw the line.

Some of us are just checking we have the right info. I've been trying to find out where to send my still kodachrome film for some time now as I thought the lab in switzerland was completely closed. So at least I know where to send it now. It's preety annoying if you end up with really expensive film that you end up having to just chuck in the bin.

It may also end up that way with some of the Kodachrome movie film I have. A great shame but it's a case of having the money and getting the film shot.

I'm trying to allocate some money just to Kodachrome this year as it is a difficult time, so it's very upsetting about the plus-x news just now as my funds are already allocated.

It's just really difficult as I have very limited resources just now.

love

Freya

Hi, kodak gave us plenty of notice back in 2005/6 regarding the deadline for super 8 k40 processing, September 2006 was cut off for super 8 cartridge processing (k40) and Dec 2006 for 8mm, ds-8 and 16mm kodachrome. Yes we've all trumped up for process paid kodachrome, in my case 100 plus rolls of ds-8 and 16mm kodachrome. I'm surprised that you found it difficult to locate the only k14 lab left in the world. The lab in Switzerland is closed, my understanding is they will only accept pre-paid slide film ( which is forwarded to Dwayne's ). All cine formats should be sent direct to Dwayne's irrespective if they are European process paid, something i've been doing since Jan 2007..

Good Luck with your kodachrome, hope you mange to expose some of your stock, you have till Dec 2010, after that its the end of the kodachrome era :(

I'm surprised that you found it difficult to locate the only k14 lab left in the world. The lab in Switzerland is closed, my understanding is they will only accept pre-paid slide film ( which is forwarded to Dwayne's ). All cine formats should be sent direct to Dwayne's irrespective if they are European process paid, something i've been doing since Jan 2007..

I didn't find it difficult to locate Dwaynes, what I found difficult was finding up to date info on slide film processing, which I now know goes to switzerland. I just assumed it didn't as I knew the swiss lab was closed but had no idea what the procedure was for getting my slide film processed.

Good Luck with your kodachrome, hope you mange to expose some of your stock, you have till Dec 2010, after that its the end of the kodachrome era :(

Yes to be honest I was a bit gutted when I couldn't make the deadline for all my film and Dwaynes didn't seem that practical as it was U.S. cheques and well concealed cash at the time but I now note they are very organised and have a whole paypal based procedure which is great! I definitely plan to get my remaining Kodachrome processed before the 2010 deadline!

love

Freya

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Shoot your remaining Kodachrome K40A Super 8 cartridges or 16mm rolls NOW, and send them directly to Dwayne's Photo for processing. The end of December 2010 is the final deadline.

I am going to use up ALL the Super 8 and 16mm Kodachrome I have left in the freezer this summer, while the outdoors light is good. I have some rolls from the early 90s, which I will use up, too, because Kodachrome is basically a black & white film and the yellow, magenta and cyan color dyes are added at the processing stage.

I will take them out of the freezer about a month before I will use them, which is NOW.

When Kodachrome is gone for ever I am going to miss it. When K40A is gone, we will have no really sharp, fine-grained color reversal film. Ektachrome 100D is not sharp enough, in my opinion. I will probably shoot 200T instead, or Pro8mm's packings of 50D or 100T. Velvia 50 is much too saturated in my way of seeing colors and people everywhere report problems with jitter from the emulsion and cartridges. I shot my first Super 8 cartridges of Kodachrome IIA in the summer 1969 with a Mirage M8 and they still look as brand new, thanks to the highly sophisticated Kodachrome subtractive color process.

The only problem is that the film base has shrunk a little bit more in the middle than along the edges, which makes the film curve sideways when projected.

I am also going miss the beautiful, fine-grained KODAK Plus-X Reversal 7265, which is sadly going to be discontinued in BOTH the Super 8 and 16mm formats this spring. I am going to buy all the rolls I can afford.

Who knows when it's time for Tri-X? It is really important to have good black & white material for a creative cinematic expression.

If the KODAK people really knew what they were doing, they would give us the most fine-grained, high-resolution material available for the tiny Super 8 format, like Vision2 50D and 100T, and keep the fine-grained Plus-X. Instead we have Vision3 500T and Tri-X, which are both grainy as hell.

Still, it's very nice that we have Super 8 film at all, in this day and age.

All the best,

Bengt Fredén, photographer

Stockholm, Sweden

Edited by Bengt Freden

KODAK Super 8 Films Discontinued in 5 Year Intervals?

In 2005, Kodachrome 40A was gone in Super 8. In 2010, Plus-X Reversal 7265 is gone, See the pattern? I wonder what will happen in 2015? Perhaps the demise of all Super 8 reversal films, or even ALL Super 8 films altogether? I wouldn´t be surprised at all…

Bengt F,

Stockholm, Sweden

• Premium Member

The Kodachrome from the late 60's was amazing film. I saw a transfer a few years ago of Kodachrome from the late 60's and it looked like 16mm. Even the contrast seemed less.

Kodachrome from the 80's also looked pretty darn good. I think the drop off probably started when Kodak stopped processing kodachrome in the United States and shut down their Hollywood Kodachrome processing machine.

Tri-X nowadays is supposed to look pretty good. I am curious how it would look pulled a stop. I like the Ektachrome 100D a lot. I consider it a more versatile stock than Kodachrome 40 and it will actually be slightly more sensitive indoors anyways.

Hi all,

Shoot your remaining Kodachrome K40A Super 8 cartridges or 16mm rolls NOW, and send them directly to Dwayne's Photo for processing. The end of December 2010 is the final deadline.

I am going to use up ALL the Super 8 and 16mm Kodachrome I have left in the freezer this summer, while the outdoors light is good. I have some rolls from the early 90s, which I will use up, too, because Kodachrome is basically a black & white film and the yellow, magenta and cyan color dyes are added at the processing stage.

I will take them out of the freezer about a month before I will use them, which is NOW.

When Kodachrome is gone for ever I am going to miss it. When K40A is gone, we will have no really sharp, fine-grained color reversal film. Ektachrome 100D is not sharp enough, in my opinion. I will probably shoot 200T instead, or Pro8mm's packings of 50D or 100T. Velvia 50 is much too saturated in my way of seeing colors and people everywhere report problems with jitter from the emulsion and cartridges. I shot my first Super 8 cartridges of Kodachrome IIA in the summer 1969 with a Mirage M8 and they still look as brand new, thanks to the highly sophisticated Kodachrome subtractive color process.

The only problem is that the film base has shrunk a little bit more in the middle than along the edges, which makes the film curve sideways when projected.

I am also going miss the beautiful, fine-grained KODAK Plus-X Reversal 7265, which is sadly going to be discontinued in BOTH the Super 8 and 16mm formats this spring. I am going to buy all the rolls I can afford.

Who knows when it's time for Tri-X? It is really important to have good black & white material for a creative cinematic expression.

If the KODAK people really knew what they were doing, they would give us the most fine-grained, high-resolution material available for the tiny Super 8 format, like Vision2 50D and 100T, and keep the fine-grained Plus-X. Instead we have Vision3 500T and Tri-X, which are both grainy as hell.

Still, it's very nice that we have Super 8 film at all, in this day and age.

All the best,

Bengt Fredén, photographer

Stockholm, Sweden

• Premium Member

Hi, kodak gave us plenty of notice back in 2005/6 regarding the deadline for super 8 k40 processing, September 2006 was cut off for super 8 cartridge processing (k40) and Dec 2006 for 8mm, ds-8 and 16mm kodachrome. Yes we've all trumped up for process paid kodachrome, in my case 100 plus rolls of ds-8 and 16mm kodachrome. I'm surprised that you found it difficult to locate the only k14 lab left in the world. The lab in Switzerland is closed, my understanding is they will only accept pre-paid slide film ( which is forwarded to Dwayne's ). All cine formats should be sent direct to Dwayne's irrespective if they are European process paid, something i've been doing since Jan 2007..

That is the point, for Dwaynes, knowing that there is a deadline on their business makes it a diminishing return each and every day they stay operating. It is possible that if people call demanding free processing they will just shut down their operation sooner rather than later. Think of your payment, even if you bought a yellow mailer, as a donation that keeps Dwaynes open an extra day than it might other wise have stayed open.

It would also be cool if Kodak worked out a credit for old mailers, even if it is for their ink or printing products.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I've recently become interested in 'retro' photography and film and bought a cheap, old Hanimex MP 400 TL Loadmatic Super-8 camera off Ebay. It takes Kodachrome 40 (Type A) cartridges and this thread has now filled me with sadness as it appears I'll never get to try it out :(

Does anyone know if there are any alternatives or solutions to giving it some life?

Rich