Kodachrome 40. Problem !

julien doumenjou

• Premium Member

KODAK Super 8 Films Discontinued in 5 Year Intervals?

In 2005, Kodachrome 40A was gone in Super 8. In 2010, Plus-X Reversal 7265 is gone, See the pattern? I wonder what will happen in 2015? Perhaps the demise of all Super 8 reversal films, or even ALL Super 8 films altogether? I wouldn´t be surprised at all…

Bengt F,

Stockholm, Sweden

I'm with you on this one, have a nasty feeling kodak will be a reversal free company in 5 years time...

• 3 years later...

I have heard that it is still possible to get KODACHROME 40 super8 colour films processed but only to Black & White..

can anybody confirm this?

please :-/

Yes, you can get it processed as b&w negative and as b&w reversal. However the prices for this special processing are so high that it doesn't make sense.

(And you'll also have to keep in mind that you can't expose the film at 40ASA anymore...)

KODACHROME 40 IF it has been cold stored frozen since new if very old, or refridgerated if made within the past 20 years, or if the film is under 10 years old at room temp...can be Reversal processed as Black & White Reversal, or in Sepia tone Reversal (rich brown tone which also has some yellows and orange hues to it due to the nature of the film). It can also be processed as a Black & White Negative, either smooth continous tone or high contrast. This all applies to newer film or cold stored film.

Now for OLD film, not cold stored: These films if not over 20 years old and kept at room temp, will sometimes still process as B&W Reversal, but with some image clouding which will vary, so you take your chances. Otherwise, ALL such old film should be custom processed as B&W Negative, from which the film can be reversed to a Positive upon transfer to digital. This is normally done for such old films that were exposed back when the films were still new. IF you attempt to use such old film, it should be exposed at ASA/ISO 10 for Negative processing, and keep in mind not only has the film lost filmspeed, but there will be image mottling due to age fogging in the images.

Lastly, IF the film is still good, you can expose it at ASA/ISO 10 for the best results, OR it can also be exposed at it's 'normal' filmspeed, since it will then be 'pushed' in processing to render the density correctly. I process these films here at Plattsburgh Photographic Services all the time, so this is all based on my lab experiences with customer films as well as my own filmmaking.

So, any remaining KODACHROME, that is still good, can be used for a variety of work. It costs more than regular B&W film processing, but I feel that it can still be used for film work or experimental work. I personally like the Sepia tone, but then, I like projecting my own films. If your work ends up for digital editing etc, then it probably doesn't matter as you can give the film any tonality you like in a NLE program. Hope this helps Email me for more information if interested in my lab services. There are other labs around that process these films as well, but prices vary. For those that do their own film processing, it's quite doable despite the care required. Best regards, Martin Baumgarten

I have had k40 filmed processed in color a few years back, it was old and it came with a super8 camera I received , I then got some other super8 film 160 something I sent the footage out and to my dismay it was processed in b&w..I had the option to have it processed but forgot to write it down on the order form I assumed that since it was color stock it would be processed as such. I recently purchased another super8 camera and it came with an unopened kodak chrome 40 and some 160 color stock. I have put them in the freezer and then moved it to the frig'. I will shoot with it, and send it out and post w/e comes back from the lab.

I can provide a link to some of my K40 stuff I got processed a few years ago, the footage is not profound in anyway, it was taken when i was either a h.s senior or a freshman in college, i had never picked up a super8 camera and it represents my 1st time using film and shooting with a film camera, its more nostalgic then anything else. I also have footage that I had processed that was 160 processed in b&w, that I shot around manhattan,brooklyn, and coney island in 2012.

this is k40 stuff:

the rest is 160 gold that was sadly processed in b+w: