Lighting Up Berlin

I have an international project coming up this June and i'm seeking advice as to what kind of lights I should bring...

The script calls for a combination of interior and exterior lighting setups. The majority of my interiors will be motivated grungy restaurant/apartment scenes, while alot of my exteriors will be mid-day on the streets.

I am shooting on the SONY EX 1/3 with a 7D w/ 50mm 1.4 as a backup/skeleton crew cam. Through this I have solid low light sensitivity available.

At this point I am thinking of bringing some K-NO DIVAs (2 bank) and a couple of ARRI aces and would love a Joker 1.2 HMI. I wouldn't forget plenty of diffusion and bounce boards for the exterior street shooting. The thing is I have to be practical seeing that my crew of 10 has to transport equipment as check in luggage on the plane.

One of the major challenges I face is that I have never been to Europe or dealt with the 220 voltage. Any advice from any DPs who have to travel often?

Let me know your thoughts,

Charlie

Can you not rent equipment there? That way the whole 220 thing won't even be an issue and you don't have to worry in the slightest about weight.

That is a good point Ryan... After all I just found out "Kino" is the German word for Cinema. I bet there is some correlation between the lighting company and the word.

I need to also do camera tests to make sure my frame rates don't generate a flickr with the lights...

Cheers

• Premium Member

EX1 and 3 will be ok with flicker. There's a setting somewhere, forget exactly where, to tend to that, but gave me no problems shooting 24P while over in Africa (also 220/50hrz country).

Rent while you're there, maybe carry a single light kit-- dedos might be multi voltage-- for when you need it but renting while there will be best... plus I'm not 100% sure you could get an HMI on a flight (cheaply). . . Also, have you looked into ATA Carnets yet? If not you will certainly want to...

• Premium Member
I bet there is some correlation between the lighting company and the word.

Absolutely there is. Frieder Hochheim, founder and owner, is from Germany.

Rent your lighting there. That way, you only pay the rental, not rental plus shipping both ways. Get going on that Rosetta Stone, and good luck.

-- J.S.

Thanks Adrian for the advice. I'll be looking into German grip houses and lighting packages before I head out. I bet shooting in Africa was challenging at times...

Also, Mark and John-

I got Rossetta Stone and its a pretty incredible program. Time to study up.

Thanks everyone for their help