Using a Hilti on set

For those of you with a Hilti 4, 40 or 42 how often to you find using it over tape? I can see for long distances it would be used a lot but what about the 10-30 ft range? What about within 10 ft? I've been thinking about purchasing one lately but wanted to get your opinions on using it and how using a Hilti is received on set by others (does it make you look lazy? efficient? something else?)

I just upgraded my Disto A3 to a Hilti PD-42. I must say, the peep sight for day exterior work is really great. To answer your question, I use my hard-tape for measurements out to 8' or so, then its Hilti. I have a 50' cloth tape too, but it usually only comes out during the prep or for day exterior work where I can't see the laser dot. Now that I have the peep sight I plan on using the cloth tape very little.

• Premium Member
I just upgraded my Disto A3 to a Hilti PD-42. I must say, the peep sight for day exterior work is really great. To answer your question, I use my hard-tape for measurements out to 8' or so, then its Hilti. I have a 50' cloth tape too, but it usually only comes out during the prep or for day exterior work where I can't see the laser dot. Now that I have the peep sight I plan on using the cloth tape very little.

I'm very much the same. I tried to cheap out and bought the fat max laser tape. It's great for interiors but useless for exteriors, so my soft tape comes out when I step outside.

People tend to be very (overly, even) touchy if you get the laser anywhere near their face so if I'm measuring to a person, I'll put the dot on the middle of their collarbone. It measures very, very close to the same as measuring to someone's temple like usual.

As for how using a laser makes you look, I've never had anyone think I was lazy for using it, at least not out loud. Everyone I work with appreciate the speed with which I can grab a mark and get on with blocking. In fact, I was outdoors once and the AD asked once, "why can't you use the pointer thingy? It's faster."

• 2 months later...

Hard Tape, Soft Tape and Laser Tape all have their own purpose. They are the right tool for most situations but not every situation. Carry all 3 so you are always covered ;)

I use a Fatmax which was $100 and goes to 100'. Ryobi makes one that is the same price (I think) and goes to 200'. Check Home Depot.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the 1st AC for the last job I was on bought a Hilti before the shoot because he knew he was going to be jammed up in corners and against walls where it would be hard to get a mark from a tape since I was 2nd AC and loader so I wasn't always there to actually run the tape for him. At the end of the shoot he was really glad he had bought it.