Lighting a studio to look like a warehouse

Hi, I am a student doing a short film final project. So i dont have much of a budget to speak of... but i was hoping that someone may be able to give me some ideas on lighting my scene.

The film is mostly going to be shot in one location, with two actors playing the part of young gang members playing russian roulette. It takes place in a wareouse at midnight.

Now we have to shoot this in a studio and so i need to create the feel of large room with moonlight from the skylights as the only light source.

We were kind of hoping for a blade runner kind of look with strong beams of light from the lights on the ceiling with blue gels to replicate the moon coming through skylights. we have a smoke machine that we are able to use. the problem is that i am not the best at lighting and i dont know how to properly light the actors without ruining the shafts of light that we have coming down onto them.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

So you're on a student budget shooting in a studio. What kind of equipment do you have available to you?

Also, what are you shooting with?

Your set will be the most important thing, and if you don't have the background look like a warehouse, lighting won't do anything for you. But all of that aside...

I'd say take some high-powered fresnels, blue 'em up, and snoot them to create the patterns you are looking for. If you have the depth and set design available, I would fill the whole area with a base ambience to set the scene, and then key with those fresnels. Have smaller units or bounce cards ready to add fill for close-ups. If moonlight is the only light you are motivating from, that's all you should need. But I would think about adding some other light in there motivated from a security light or something.

For the Bladerunner effect you mentioned, you could use a narrow beam leko and sweep it through the room. Cheaper and more readily available than a beam projector or xenon. As stated it's set dressing that will create the atmosphere, lighting will only enhance that look.