Yes, by keeping the film as "un-Canadian" as possible.

R,

I don't see a problem with that. As the saying goes, "The customer is always right." You have to appeal to your biggest markets if you want to sell your product. Or, you can be like Guy Maddin.

As for Porky's and Christmas Story, they are produced by mostly Canadian crews and a Canadian DP. If I go to IMDB, they are listed as Canadian/US (wiki lists Porky's as just Canadian) and I believe Porky's still holds the record as the highest grossing Canadian film.

If it's because the director is American, wouldn't that make all of Jewison, Cameron and Cronenberg's films Canadian?

I guess, if the Canadian government were serious about funding Canadian film, they could start by not giving millions to Paul Gross to produce a stale "typically" Dudley Do Rightish Canadian film which is Road to Avonlea meets Galipoli. I know Anne of Green Gables was a big hit back in the mid 80s, but it's time to move forward. I don't mean to offend the OP who worked on the film, but I really didn't like the script and I think it is the primary reason why the film only made 4 mil. The production values and acting were quality.

Still, I'll go out to see Gunless because I do want to support these endeavours even if I'm frustrated by Canada not having their own "All Quiet On The Western Front". I suppose nobody is stopping me. :D

Richard, I'm glad your film was picked up for distribution. It looks like a movie my niece will really enjoy so I will look out for it. I'm in the Ottawa area, any hope a theatre or two might screen it? If not, when can I look for the DVD at Rogers?

Richard, I'm glad your film was picked up for distribution. It looks like a movie my niece will really enjoy so I will look out for it. I'm in the Ottawa area, any hope a theatre or two might screen it? If not, when can I look for the DVD at Rogers?

Actually Freya was talking about my last movie, Dark Reprieve.

The Dogfather, is an unfolding story on the distribution front. My policy on the forum is to never make an announcement on the distribution of my work until the ink is dry.

I'm sure you'll see it on DVD at some point this year though.

R,

Actually Freya was talking about my last movie, Dark Reprieve.

The Dogfather, is an unfolding story on the distribution front. My policy on the forum is to never make an announcement on the distribution of my work until the ink is dry.

I'm sure you'll see it on DVD at some point this year though.

R,

That's an excellent policy, Richard. I'll look out for "Dark Reprieve" and look forward to the "Dogfather".

Do you think Dark Reprieve will make it onto The Movie Network?

As for Porky's and Christmas Story, they are produced by mostly Canadian crews and a Canadian DP. If I go to IMDB, they are listed as Canadian/US (wiki lists Porky's as just Canadian) and I believe Porky's still holds the record as the highest grossing Canadian film.

If it's because the director is American, wouldn't that make all of Jewison, Cameron and Cronenberg's films Canadian?

Could it be because MGM/UA, the distributor, might have sunk money into it?

&most of the location scenes were shot in Cleveland.

But it's "follow the money" that determines a movies's nationality .

Do you think Dark Reprieve will make it onto The Movie Network?

Nope, they said no.

But it's "follow the money" that determines a movies's nationality .

Yep, and that's why Porky's claim of being a Canadian movie is dubious at best.

R,

'Gunless' opens tomorrow in 82 cities and towns across Canada on 150 screens. Thats pretty much as wide a release as you can get up here. Hopefully it does well. If it does well enough, you may see it down there.

greg

I sincerely hope it does well. I've only seen the one ad for it though on TV that's kinda odd.

I hope it does become the first Canadian movie to screen widely in US theatres. It's never happened yet, but some body has to crack that nut at some point.

On another front I see you where praised in this review Gregory, good for you:

"and cinematographer Gregory Middleton transforms the rugged hills of Osoyoos, BC into a landscape that would make John Ford weep."

He didn't like much else, but hey, what can ya do movie reviewers seldom like movies and they especially dislike Canadian films:

http://news.suite101.com/article.cfm/gunle...-review-a224696

R,

I sincerely hope it does well. I've only seen the one ad for it though on TV that's kinda odd.

I hope it does become the first Canadian movie to screen widely in US theatres. It's never happened yet, but some body has to crack that nut at some point.

On another front I see you where praised in this review Gregory, good for you:

"and cinematographer Gregory Middleton transforms the rugged hills of Osoyoos, BC into a landscape that would make John Ford weep."

He didn't like much else, but hey, what can ya do movie reviewers seldom like movies and they especially dislike Canadian films:

http://news.suite101.com/article.cfm/gunle...-review-a224696

R,

Here's a less sneering sarcastic defeatest review ;) (I'm mostly referring to the cracks about Telefilm funding):

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/...7559/story.html

Seems I'm going to have the same problem with Gunless that I had with Gross' previous two, the script. Whatever, I'll go see it anyways.

Edited by Pat Murray

Here's a less sneering sarcastic defeatest review ;) (I'm mostly referring to the cracks about Telefilm funding):

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/...7559/story.html

Seems I'm going to have the same problem with Gunless that I had with Gross' previous two, the script. Whatever, I'll go see it anyways.

BTW, I'm not surprised Gregory Middleton was singled out by the first reviewer considering your work on Passchendale.