NYC Camera Houses

Matt Read

I'm going to be moving to New York City in a few months and will be looking for work. I'm wondering what the top camera rental houses are there. There's Panavision and the website for the Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcast has links to several more, but it's hard to tell which of those rent to larger productions.

Also, it didn't seem like any of the camera houses I found rented the newest Arri cameras. Out of curiosity, where do you rent Arris in NYC? Do you go through Clairmont in Toronto?

Thanks in advance.

Any of the rental houses in NY would be happy to work with a large production. Of course theres Panavision (Which does have Arri 435s and 235s) But there is also Du-All and Handheld (Which has an Arricam LT listed on its site) and TCS. For the latest Arri gear theres Arri CSC which moved from Manhattan to Secaucus NJ, just outside of the city. If you can't rent in NJ for tax purposes the houses can also subrent from Arri and just get lenses and support equipment from the other house.

• Premium Member

Cinema Vision has a great deal of Arri gear, as does CPT.

For employment's sake you might want to look at CSC, TCS and Handheld. The other shops have definitely smaller overhead and a more mom-and-pop approach.