Canon 310 XL AF

Rui Resende

Somehow, a perfect Canon 310 XL AF with box came to me. I've just put batteries and ran it without film, and the electric and optic parts are in perfect conditions, so i just have to try the camera with film now. It's not a very resourceful camera, it seems, but i really really enjoyed the lightness and portability of it, so i was thinking of starting to take it whenever i want to travel with little weight.

Now i've been looking for suitable film for it that is still being made. Since the camera's characteristics state that:

film speed: automatic for 40/64 and 100/160 ASA only (daylight/tungsten)

this means the camera will expose correctly the Ektachrome, the Tri-X and the Plus-X right? Just to confirm, so i won't have a huge disappointment when i develop the film.

thanks, i'll try to post some test footage if i'm able to use the camera

For sure Tri-X and V200 negative, but Plus-X and E100 might be 2/3 stop underexposed.

Suspect that that camera will not read 100ASA daylight-- which is triggered by the notchless cartridge and the 160T/100D speed indice. Will set the meter to ASA160 instead and just retract the internal 85 filter.

I assume the AF means autofocus?

yes, it's AF.

well pitty it won't expose 64t correctly. So that means there are no reversal available color stock that i can use. I never used negative stock, what do you recomend?

thanks for the advice, i'll try tri-x and see what it comes out.

Tom, nice tutorial, although that's not my camera.

• Premium Member
yes, it's AF.

well pitty it won't expose 64t correctly. So that means there are no reversal available color stock that i can use. I never used negative stock, what do you recomend?

thanks for the advice, i'll try tri-x and see what it comes out.

Tom, nice tutorial, although that's not my camera.

You can't outsmart or outthink a super-8 camera. You put a cartridge in it and shoot it. Assuming the 310 has either manual exposure or an exposure button that locks the exposure, you can work around the issue. First, you have to identify what the issue is, and that is only done by shooting a roll.

When I went to college a long time ago, I helfped start a film and video production club called ACTION!

I made it a point of one shooting one cartridge of super-8 film over the weekend, bringing it into the local kodak dealer on Monday, getting it back on Thursday, and showing it at our Friday meetings. I did this every week one semester.

I have trouble understanding why people aren't willing to shoot test rolls? Is the cost? Digital video costs A LOT MORE to get into, then you can save money by shooting hours of footage that you may or may not ever edit. But on the front end, one super-8 cartridge and processing is much much cheaper than any other format out there.

• Premium Member
When I went to college a long time ago, I helfped start a film and video production club called ACTION!

I made it a point of one shooting one cartridge of super-8 film over the weekend,

As you can see from above, I probably should have attended my other classes as well.

• 3 weeks later...

You can't outsmart or outthink a super-8 camera. You put a cartridge in it and shoot it. Assuming the 310 has either manual exposure or an exposure button that locks the exposure, you can work around the issue. First, you have to identify what the issue is, and that is only done by shooting a roll.

I made it a point of one shooting one cartridge of super-8 film over the weekend, bringing it into the local kodak dealer on Monday, getting it back on Thursday, and showing it at our Friday meetings. I did this every week one semester.

I have trouble understanding why people aren't willing to shoot test rolls? Is the cost? Digital video costs A LOT MORE to get into, then you can save money by shooting hours of footage that you may or may not ever edit. But on the front end, one super-8 cartridge and processing is much much cheaper than any other format out there.

Excellent advice about shooting test rolls Alessandro. Just write down your settings and the composition of the shot for every single shot you take.

As far as the AF, I believe all Super 8 cameras use this to mean auto focus.