Canon 814 AZ

Sarah Bender

I recently bought an 814az, it is in good cosmetic condition. Functionally, it makes noise when I use the trigger, the manual aperature works, the manual and auto zoom work. However, when I tried to test shoot with my first reel (Kodak 7280 Ektachrome 64T Color Reversal Super 8 Silent 50' Film), it tore the notches in the film, and would not advance.

What causes this? Has anyone else experienced this? Is there something I can do, or different film I should be buying?

Thanks for your help.

• Premium Member

When you first open the film carton and take the cartridge out of the foil packing, try turning the spindle of the film cartridge, while the spindle is facing you, clockwise. This should advance the film. Turn the spindle a couple of revolutions, then put the film cartridge in the camera without letting go of the spindle until the last possible moment.

If the spindle moved easily, that probably is a good sign.

Is one jammed cartridge enough of a test to determine it is the camera and not a faulty cartridge?

I know, I was thinking of having it serviced/cleaned either way. I have a couple cartridges to play around with.

Thanks.

• Premium Member
I know, I was thinking of having it serviced/cleaned either way. I have a couple cartridges to play around with.

Thanks.

Definitely a good idea. And thank you for supporting the remaining super-8 service facilities. Has anyone compiled any kind of list of for Super-8 service facilities?