Why I shouldn't shoot a short on a GH1?

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

So I'm seriously considering shooting a short film this summer with a Panasonic GH1, an adapter, my Cooke Speed Panchro lens set, and then editing it with Final Cut Studio. And I'd love for folks to tell me all the reasons why I shouldn't.

To be honest, I probably will anyway, I just want to know all the negatives going in so I can plan ahead and try to neutralize as many of them as possible.

Going to be shooting old school with a slate and separate audio recorder, and a good set of mics, so I'm not worried about the audio issues.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

Rolling shutter, trouble handling patterns, jaggy lines, lots of compression (so go to prores when you're editing!), and chances are as well poor dynamic range. That being said; go for it, if it fits the project aesthetic or some technical requirements.

• Premium Member
if it fits the project aesthetic or some technical requirements.

Mostly it fits my Cooke Speed Panchros, and can be discreetly used in "the big city" without attracting the kind of attention that asks to see PERMITS.

Thanks for the tips.

Best,

-Tim

Are you shooting in 1080p or 720p? I've found with my GH1 the 720p holds up a bit better when doing quick camera movement and such. But you lose the easy 24fps. But besides that, with all things DSLR do you have a way of getting the shots you think you'll need?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Phillip,

Going with the 1080P. The tests I've done so far have looked good. The piece we're going to use the camera for doesn't have alot of "action shots" where there is alot of quick camera motion. The pans and tilts I've been experimenting with held up well in 1080P, and I'm getting a good feel for the workflow with that 1080P data.

I believe the camera will allow us to capture everything we need for this project, though I do always keep some 16mm around just in case.

Best,

-Tim