Arri S vs CP16

Joe Riggs

...I have access to an Arri S and a CP16, and I was wondering which one would you choose to shoot on and why?...

I guess a certain amount might depend upon what it is you're wanting to shoot.

An Arri S is essentially a small hand-held non-crystal sync noisy MOS camera that takes internal 100ft loads. A CP16 is a larger shoulder mounted crystal sync 'silent' camera that takes 400ft magazine loads. Two rather different beasts.

Ok, the Arri can be fitted with a crystal sync motor, and can be fitted with a 400ft magazine (which makes it even louder), it also can be fitted in a blimp to make it quiet. The Arriflex also has the legendary Arri engineering & build quality making it very rugged and reliable.

What condition are both cameras in? - when were they last serviced/adjusted? In good condition both cameras are capable of producing fine films, but they are perhaps optimised and most suited to different situations.

If you want a fairly lightweight and reasonably discrete camera that doesn't draw much attention to itself, and you aren't trying to record sound, then perhaps the Arri might be best suited. If you don't mind something a little heavier, want to record sound, or need the convenience of 400ft loads, then perhaps you're better choosing the CP.

• Premium Member

Horses for Courses, as they say.

If you let us know what you are trying to shoot, we might be able to be of more assistance. I think the differences with the cameras are laid out really well in the posts above. The only thing that wasn't covered is what glass is available for each camera? That would have a big impact on any decision I would make between those two.

If there is great glass available for one but not the other, I would try to work my shooting requirements around the one with the best available glass.

Best,

-Tim