Licensed POPULAR music

Aaron Blackwood

What’s a good website that has popular licensed music for wedding video productions? I'm getting bored with the current instrumental stuff I'm using, but I want to continue being a legal company.

Hello Aaron!

We've been struggling with the same issue. We've had to weigh staying popular against staying legal. We like using big songs... but we don't like getting sued...

We've been using zoomlicense.com lately but none of that music is ever a bride's first choice and you're not going to find Jason Mraz on there. There just really isn't much out there, at least that I've found, that will give you truly "popular" music short of forking out thousands for a license from a record company.

We got some email from a place called "Songfreedom" a little while back. They're apparently working out a deal with record companies to make it easier to get that music, but their website doesn't seem to have launched yet, so I don't know what to expect. I'm keeping an eye on it though... might make a good replacement for my instrumental catalog, lol. It's www.songfreedom.com if you want to check that one out.

I'm afraid I'm no more help than that though. If you find something, let me know! Good luck!

-Tommy

• Premium Member

FedEx Office (formerly Kinkos) supplies copiers for individuals to use to copy copywritten materials under the fair use doctrine. They'll even set the machine up for you but you have to press the "Copy" button yourself.

If there's a reasonably computer savvy person in the bride or groom's family I can imagine setting up a copy of Avid or FCP in such a way that the family actually dubs the copywritten music on to edited video and they cut the first DVD or BluRay to use as a master. As long as you're not merging picture and music yourself I think this idea might be copywrite legal.

Disclaimer: "I am not actually a lawyer, I only play one on Cinematography.com"

• Premium Member

I've tried licensing reasonably well known stuff several times and it's never been possible - it wasn't that it was too expensive, it's just too time consuming or we just couldn't ever quite find out who owns stuff.

This situation has long been ridiculous, helping nobody, and frankly the reality of it puts the lie to the idea that the licensors are really about making the maximum amount of money - or maybe they're just incompetent. It's an unfortunate fact, however, that licensing stuff is, beyond expensive, just a massive pain in the neck. The only exception seems to be for people like the BBC and other large organisations that have blanket agreements with licensing organisations; somehow, all this complexity gets washed away with the money hose. I just can't shift the feeling that, if they can't normally figure out who owns what, even in that situation I don't think everyone can possibly be getting what they should get out of it.

Gah.

P

FedEx Office (formerly Kinkos) supplies copiers for individuals to use to copy copywritten materials under the fair use doctrine. They'll even set the machine up for you but you have to press the "Copy" button yourself.

If there's a reasonably computer savvy person in the bride or groom's family I can imagine setting up a copy of Avid or FCP in such a way that the family actually dubs the copywritten music on to edited video and they cut the first DVD or BluRay to use as a master. As long as you're not merging picture and music yourself I think this idea might be copywrite legal.

Disclaimer: "I am not actually a lawyer, I only play one on Cinematography.com"

That's an interesting loop hole you've found. Although I do appreciate the suggestion, I find that whole idea a bit shady. It would look unprofessional and I can't imagine that a bride or groom would feel comfortable with a company that had them do such a thing to skirt laws. I'm willing to pay for the music, I just need a place that will sell it to me.

Tommy:

You've sparked my interest. I checked out that Songfreedom website and it looks like something I'd be interested in. Has anyone else heard anything about this company?

Edited by Aaron Blackwood

• Premium Member
That's an interesting loop hole you've found. Although I do appreciate the suggestion, I find that whole idea a bit shady.

I find it very easy to be sleazy when I portray a lawyer <_<

This is weird. I just got a phone call from that Songfreedom company yesterday. I think I remember seeing an e-mail from them a few weeks back. Has anyone else got a call or e-mail from them? They said they're going to launch in about a month and will be able to offer rights to songs like "Hey Soul Sister" and "I'm Yours". Is this too good to be true?