Flicker from over head fluorescent lights?

I'm shooting a film next week that has a scene in a hospital ward.

I was thinking of using the fluorescent ceiling lights that are already there to light the background and lighting the actors with a kino flo.

We're shooting for black and white so I really want the actors to pop out against the background.

Will there be any issue with flicker from the fluorescent lights?

I'm based in Ireland and we'll be shooting at 25 fps.

Edited by Richard Lacey

• Premium Member
I'm shooting a film next week that has a scene in a hospital ward.

I was thinking of using the fluorescent ceiling lights that are already there to light the background and lighting the actors with a kino flo.

We're shooting for black and white so I really want the actors to pop out against the background.

Will there be any issue with flicker from the fluorescent lights?

I'm based in Ireland and we'll be shooting at 25 fps.

If you are shooting with a crystal sync motor at 25 fps under 50 Hz AC lights, you should be fine except for the occasional light with a bad ballast in it.

• Premium Member

It also depends if they still have magnetic ballasts. Over here, they're a thing of the past. The electronic ballast flourescents are high enough frequency not to cause any problem at any reasonable frame rate and shutter angle -- like CFL's. We had a shoot in Thailand recently, and were worried about old magnetic ballasts. It turned out that they're even gone over there.

Of course you may find a tube going bad here and there. But those you can see just by eye, and pull them out or replace them.

-- J.S.

If you are shooting with a crystal sync motor at 25 fps under 50 Hz AC lights, you should be fine except for the occasional light with a bad ballast in it.

Thanks for the replies.

We're shooting with an Aaton LTR.

I wasn't previously familiar with crystal sync motors, but given the age and condition of my college's camera I'm guessing it won't have one.

Edited by Richard Lacey

• Premium Member

The LTR's are new enough that most if not all are probably crystal. Do you do sync sound without a hard wire from the camera to the recorder? If so, it has to be crystal. If the ballasts are electronic, it wouldn't matter either way.

-- J.S.

Thanks for the replies.

We're shooting with an Aaton LTR.

I wasn't previously familiar with crystal sync motors, but given the age and condition of my college's camera I'm guessing it won't have one.

The Aaton LTRs have crystal sync. I'd be more worried about the green in the fluorescents than the flicker if you're shooting at 25 f.p.s with a crystal motor.