Roger Ebert on 3-D

Justin Hayward

I believe that the studios went into 3D knowing that there were obvious side effects from viewing the material. The human eye/ brain was not designed to watch this, hence the head aches and other health issues.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Here is a very interesting article I came across today. Up till now there is only 1 3D movie that is commercially available any others are only available as part of a BD/ HDTV package. 3D will never succeed at this rate. It seems as though each studio is waiting for the next to make the first move. I prefer to watch my movies at home without glasses strapped to my face.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/27/technology/3D_technology_dying.fortune/index.htm

Not sure what you mean by 'up till now' as there are hundreds of 3d blurays available in the UK! I do find it bizaar how many articles and how much newsprint is spent on the death of 3d or the end of 3d or why 3d sucks etc. If you don't like 3D dont watch it and economics will take it's natural course. The rest is just a load of balls really. Watch Herzog's new doc and then think again about 3d it really improves the experience. poop films are poop films whether they are 3d or not. Right better get back to editing this 3D concert...

I love watching the really old footage, especially WWII footage. It's still seems weird seeing the likes of Hitler, Montgomery, Mussolini, Starling and Roosevelt in glorious technicolor. Truly fascinating.

Hitler would be in Agfacolor.

& the others in Kodachrome.

---El Pedante

Getting back on topic, too bad they didn't have 3-D. Their salute would have been a natural for it.... ;-)

They did. Raumfilm Zeiss Ikon.

Here's a variety article:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118032274

Mora seems to be ignorant of the history of stereo cinema.

I've never heard of those two films refered to as propaganda.

Ray Zone mentions in his'Stereoscopic Cinema and the Origins of 3D Film' that there was raumfilm Agfacolor documentary footage of the Russian Front.

This has better information of the Zeiss Ikon system:

http://www.boffo.com/2011/02/source-wowed-by-scorceses-3d-hugo-cabret.html

The system was used to shoot Volkswagen advertising shorts in the 50s.

Extraordinary! Thanks Leo.

"
King Brothers To Use German 3-D Process

"King Bros, have arranged to act as American distribs of a new German 3-D process developed by the Zeiss Ikon Co., of Stuttgart, prexy Frank King reported yesterday, following his return from a month's trip to Europe.

"Only a single strip of film is used In this new process, and a single projector, but polaroid glasses are required to view the picture. A prism Is utilised in the camera, instead of mirrors, King said, and a special device is attached to projector's lens to give the 3-D effect.

"The stereoscopic process already is ready, but Zeiss is working on the stereophonic sound, King stated. This Is nearly completed, however, and will be ready within the next 60 days. Kings will first use the new Zeiss Ikon process on "Two Headed Spy," which they will produce In Germany after they finish "Carnival," slated to roll at the Gelselgastelg Studios in Munich June 1. King completed production and financial arrangements for the two films during his stay abroad.

""Carnival" will be made in an American 3-D process, King declared last night, since the Zeiss process won't be ready in time. Film will be made In both English and German versions, with principals taken from Hollywood to Germany for the English version and German thesps employed for the native version. Story revolves around experiences of an American carnival troupe travelling through present-day Germany."

They don't make them like they used to!

Or maybe they do. Check out what Doug Trumbull's been up to with AbelCine. And he's about to shoot another feature. Good to see him back at the helm! Here he is talking about his contribution to Blade Runner.

Back to work now...

BTW Does Variety still use the term prexy? :D

Edited by Karel Bata

• Premium Member

They did. Raumfilm Zeiss Ikon.

Interesting .... Any patents would have been tossed into public domain under the Enemy Property Act of 1945 in the UK, and the Public Domain Act of 1945 in the USA.

-- J.S.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Thor the other day, and I've got to agree - the 3D seems like a waste of time, and money (mine actually - paying £25 for a ticket!). It's clearly shot and framed for 2D.

And it seems we're not alone here thor-in-2d-makes-a-solid-creative-argument-against-the-3d-boom

Apart from thew 2D/3D I thought it was a weak movie - entirely predictable, derivative (with elements borrowed from LOTR, other superhero movies, and the fight in the small-town street is straight out of Superman II!) and with the central character lacking the gravitas needed for a what is meant to be a Norse god. The attempts by RSC veteran Ken Brannagh to give it a Shakespearean edge (is Loki meant to be Marvel's Iago?) are laughable.

Oh well.

I saw Thor the other day, and I've got to agree - the 3D seems like a waste of time, and money (mine actually - paying £25 for a ticket!). It's clearly shot and framed for 2D.

And it seems we're not alone here thor-in-2d-makes-a-solid-creative-argument-against-the-3d-boom

Apart from thew 2D/3D I thought it was a weak movie - entirely predictable, derivative (with elements borrowed from LOTR, other superhero movies, and the fight in the small-town street is straight out of Superman II!) and with the central character lacking the gravitas needed for a what is meant to be a Norse god. The attempts by RSC veteran Ken Brannagh to give it a Shakespearean edge (is Loki meant to be Marvel's Iago?) are laughable.

Oh well.

Seems we agree on the 3D but not on the movie. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, and I'm not even into comic books. My GF loves the Loki character. I was fortunate enough to meet one of the Marvel artists responsible for Thor and he was kind enough to draw a cool sketch for my GF. She was so hyped. Gonna get a nice frame and hang it in our new Home Theater when it's done.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched The Green Hornet again, this time at home on Blu-ray in 2D. And while I still find Rogen irritating as hell, I did find it a lot more enjoyable. Particularly without the gimmicky 3D.

I want to pre order the Lion King special edition, that comes in a really nice display box, but out of the 8 discs only 3 are any use to me

Lion King BD, Lion King 1 1/2 BD, Lion King 2 BD.

Then 5 discs of Digital Copies, DVD's and 3D. What a waste. May be the only way to acquire the 2 sequels tho.