zooming with a gear head

• Premium Member

I'm currently on a movie with a G2, an 11-1, and 1000ft mag, and because of the weight I'm using the Panahead pretty much all the time. The 2575 just won't balance well with that package.

Anyway, for the most part I'm using the zoom as a variable prime, but on the rare occasion the director wants to do a zoom in the shot. I've heard of a zoom control device that can be put on the wheel handle for these types of situations, but I've never heard the name of it. I'm wondering what it is and where to get one. It's a bit of a mystery to me at the moment. Anyone have any info about it?

Our "A" camera operator (who is a fantastic operator) has done a shot or two holding the microforce in his hand while turning the wheel, but I'm doubtful that I can pull that off as well as he can, and I don't really want to risk it. Any info would be great.

Hold the zoom in your left hand and hold the wheel knob between your ring finger and your middle finger. Why can't the AC do your zooming? It's obviously really tough to do this.

Edited by Tom Jensen

• Premium Member
Hold the zoom in your left hand and hold the wheel knob between your ring finger and your middle finger. Why can't the AC do your zooming? It's obviously really tough to do this.

Yeah, I know I can do that, I'd just prefer not to because I think my operating will suffer. Maybe it won't....I guess I should try it. So far I've had the 2nd do the zooming for me and it's worked fine, but sometimes the timing is a bit of an issue and it would be nice to be able to do it comfortably on my own. It's honestly not a big issue on this show, but it would be nice to have options in the future.