Tube Cameras

Jayson Crothers

• Premium Member

Hey everyone - a friend has a shoot coming up where he's considering mixing formats and is looking at using an old tube camera he has access to for it's unique look - however, he's looking for any information out there about tube cameras. Does anyone have a direction they can point him in? Thanks.

• Premium Member

first, they're much less sensitive than modern ccd cameras (think about EI 100 better than EI 800, 3 stops under)

second they have a very typical default that is remaining light, causing sort of a comet when you have a strong light in the frame and move the camera. Avoid highlights if you don't like that, or play with it if you like.

Mind that the camera is necessarly a bit old, and that it may be a bit bad if it was used a lot.

Another technical point is that you have to align the tubes. One could explain it to you here if you wish, but it would be much better somebody showing you or even do it for you if you're not used to it.

About 10 years ago I actually did a corporate shoot with an Ikegami HL-79E, it had brand new (in 1995 !) Plumbicons.

Kinda cool, kinda old school. Agree that the EI equivalent would be ~ 100, 125.

I agreed to do it only if their in house engineer set it up, I could probably do the registration if I had too (I've done it) but didn't want to rely on my memory - open that side panel & there's 70 pots in there, scary thing to see first thing in the morning :blink:

Recorded to BetaSP, Looked very nice !

Now if you want the "distressed tube" look, hmm, it could be easy, or even too easy B)

-Sam

We used to kick up the gain then iris down taking the 'video bite' out of those old tube cameras....the Ikegami 79 had the best picture, then the Hitachi SK-97, and the sony's were actually the worst (on my list back in those days).....good luck finding a place to rent one you might try calling Sean Moran at Hitachi Densi of America 1-516-682-4431, he may be able to get his hands on a still operational SK-97, this is NOT a camcorder and you will need a seperate deck (the Sony BVW-35 was tops in it's class, I still own two if you're looking)....as for the comet tailing effect, when you point those tubes at a direct light source you burn the tubes (very bad) and the result can be a burn spot permanently left on the tube visible on any image from that point on......

Good Luck,

JD

www.cineshooter.com