In an upcoming film, I have a stunt planned. A man is going to be dragged down the street hanging on to a pizza disher outer which is subsequently attatched to a car. Another man is going to be hanging on to the first man's ankles. We are planning to have them drag on asphalt at a very slow speed and speed it up in post. Any suggestions on how we should do this? Tim Burton, in Sleepy Hollow, used Kelvar on Johnny Depp when he was being dragged through a forest. We don't have kevlar. We're planning on using wheeling devices and conceal them under the stunt people who are being dragged. We're also planning on using extra heavy duty protective cups. Has anyone by any chance dragged anyone on the street before during production? Does anyone have suggestions on how to shoot this?

I know this sounds rediculous, but it's important to the movie.

Thank you.

Edited by Hank Parker

Has anyone by any chance dragged anyone on the street before.....?

I know this sounds rediculous, but it's important to the movie.

Thank you.

I did once best advice--> don't wait for the police--RUN! :D

Actually I've never done it but I was in a shoot that did

They used professional stuntmen who knew what they were doing...

I recommend you do the same

Shooting a low budget fight scene is one thing

Something goes wrong all you got is a busted lip and black eye (big deal)

Shooting a low budget car chase/dragging scene is a whole nother level

If things go wrong you can have serious injuries, taking people to the hospital

And a DEATH can be a possibility.

Do you have worker's comp, and a good insurance policy?

I worked on a short last year where the director wanted to do a car chase scene

He wanted a hi-speed chase thru the streets ala Fast & Furiour (hate that movie)

But he didn't have stunt drivers, he didn't have insurance,

HE DIDN'T HAVE PERMIT! (just pick a deserted street at night and guerilla)

I told him I wasn't going to let him do it

And warn the drivers about the dangers (they didn't believe me of course)

And threaten to walk off.

So he found another way to film the scene which was less dangerous.

All stunts have a level of danger and you have to use yer head sometimes

Sometimes if you don't have the resources you just have to live without it

Don't gamble with people's lives you could wind up losing more than you bargain.

• Premium Member

I get VERY nervous about any post that has the phrase "how to avoid death" in it.............

In COMPLETE seriousness, do not attempt or consider anything remotely like this without a stunt coordinator - they are professionals who make their living doing these things and are experienced, trained, and equipped to do them safely and effectively.

I did one show with a stunt crew of people who were, shall we say, less than qualified; someone was badly injured in a relatively easy stunt - last time I'll make that mistake.

It's just a movie - it's not worth a death, it's not even worth an injury.

If you can't afford to hire someone specifically trained and experienced in how to do this, you shouldn't be doing it - ESPECIALLY a stunt involving a moving vehicle and dragging someone.

The stunt coordinator will also be able to communicate to your Cinematographer some of the more effective ways to shoot the stunt in question to make it sell better, more exciting, etc.

Sorry to harp on this matter, but I need to say again - if you don't have a Pro setting this up for you, forget it!

• Premium Member

Didn?t a couple of kids die trying to hold on to the back of a car while riding their skateboards after ?Back to the Future? came out? There?s a reason they say ?don?t try this at home?.

Really though, it could be very dangerous. Use professionals and extreme caution.

Didn?t a couple of kids die trying to hold on to the back of a car while riding their skateboards after ?Back to the Future? came out?  There?s a reason they say ?don?t try this at home?.

Really though, it could be very dangerous.  Use professionals and extreme caution.

Probably. A couple of kids died immitating<sp?> a scene from "The Program" were football players laid between lanes on a highway (IIRC this scene was pulled from the movie while it was still in the theaters).

If the dragging scene is "key" to the film, can it be done w/dummies? Do tight CU's of your actors (shallow DOF too) being pulled by hand laying on a skateboard or something and do wide shots w/homemade dummies being dragged behind the car.

Andrew

Thank you all for your input. I know, what I proposed was quite dangerous. I was aware of it from the beginning, and knew there was probably no way anyone would ever get behind a car and be dragged. It just isn't feasible. That's why I posted here - to see if there was some trick to doing it. I also know and respect the great care that must be taken when dealing with stunts. Andrew: your idea is great. I think we will try the dummies. I'll let you know how it turns out.

And Phil, I pramise nver to mispeel ridiculus evar agen.

• 1 month later...
Guest JanayBrown
Probably.  A couple of kids died immitating<sp?> a scene from "The Program" were football players laid between lanes on a highway (IIRC this scene was pulled from the movie while it was still in the theaters).Andrew

Isn't that the most PATHETIC thing you have ever heard? Why pull what was a great scene because SOME people are just so STUPID to not think that the scene was planned well in advance with professionals and every safety precaution known to man in place. Sheesh. Stupid people have no business being among the living.

Sounds like an interesting scene you are proposing. And what wonderful advice. I did a high fall once for a music video being shot by a small band (High being off of a 5 story building) Can you say STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!!!!! No one had any idea what they were doing and if it hadn't been for my boyfriend at the time who knew MANY stunt people who took me under their respective wings I probably would not be here today. Not to mention the fact that we had noooo idea that you needed a permit to do such things. Imagine that? Walking into your local police station or city hall saying ummm yeah I need permission to throw someone off a 5 story building, or drag someone behind a moving vehicle.

GOD! Young and dumb I was! But it was fun!

We just shot a test for a fight sequence where someone ended up with a broken nose. And all it was was a test. The female kicked the male right in the face. And we got in a spot of trouble because we hadnt gotten a permit to do that either, so one of the neighbors called the police and there we were trying to explain what we were doing to avoid assault charges... But I guess I bring that up to augment the statement about getting shoot permits for whatever it is that you are shooting out in the public. How bad it would be trying to shoot people running down the street with guns in hand only to have some unsuspecting cop come by.

Great ideas about the closeups and the longshots. That is the beauty of the business I suppose. The trickery. You pretty much have to be a magician sometimes.

If you can't afford to do it as a stunt, do it as an effects shot.

1. Shoot the backgrounds with the camera close and low to the road. It's not very expensive to rig a simple driving shot safely.

2. Record the lens info, angles, height, lighting, etc.

3. In a studio, recreate the same angle, lighting etc with an actor being 'dragged' in front of a green screen.

4. Fix it in post! :D

Many, many things that look like stunts in the movies are actually carefully executed effects shots. Chances are if you can see the face of a famous actor, it's not a stunt! Do you really think the agents/handlers/insurance companies of a $20 million-per-picture star would let them be dragged behind a car?