Dubbing 24pa

GLPVideo

Client wants a copy of 24pa material I shot, if I dub it straight out are they getting 24 frame material or 29.97? And if they want 29.97 do I need to run it into my editor , convert then dub out? Thanks, just having a long day.

D.

Are you dubing from a deck or your camera? If camera, are you using the SDI output board?

As I understand it... the 24p and 24pa footage is interlaced and put to tape at 29.97 in the camera, but the pull down cadence is ordered differently between the two. I believe that you will get 29.97 footage out the SDI of the camera(although 8bit). 24pa footage is used for a project to be posted in a 24frame timeline as the firewire equiped panasonic decks can remove the extra frames at ingest into your NLE. Hope that this is some help. Contact me as a may be able to help if you need a deck.

Taylor

D.

Are you dubing from a deck or your camera?  If camera, are you using the SDI output board?

As I understand it... the 24p and 24pa footage is interlaced and put to tape at 29.97 in the camera, but the pull down cadence is ordered differently between the two.  I believe that you will get 29.97 footage out the SDI of the camera(although 8bit).  24pa footage is used for a project to be posted in a 24frame timeline as the firewire equiped panasonic decks can remove the extra frames at ingest into your NLE.  Hope that this is some help.  Contact me as a may be able to help if you need a deck.

Taylor

I was going to dub out of a deck, composite or component, I can also come out firewire but that doesn't help going to a deck for their copy, does it? There was no plan to do this originally but now they want want this dub.

Dow

I would say that any dub out a deck, composite or component will give them a 29.97 60I tape albeit from footage that was captured at 24fps (24p and 24pa). The tape will have a 3 to 2 pulldown associated with it at the 24pa cadence of (correct me if I am wrong) 2:3:3:2. This being for the proper frame removal by a firewire based NLE specifically FCP but I think AVID also. So dub away if its a 29.97 copy they want.

I would say that any dub out a deck, composite or component will give them a 29.97 60I tape albeit from footage that was captured at 24fps (24p and 24pa).  The tape will have a 3 to 2 pulldown associated with it at the 24pa cadence of (correct me if I am wrong) 2:3:3:2.  This being for the proper frame removal by a firewire based NLE specifically FCP but I think AVID also.  So dub away if its a 29.97 copy they want.

OK that's what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't confused. As I understand it, the video has the pulldown already, then when you ingest to your system you remove the pulldown.(correct me if I'm wrong). Whew, way to heady after a long day. Thanks for the input.

OK that's what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't confused. As I understand it, the video has the pulldown already, then when you ingest to your system you remove the pulldown.(correct me if I'm wrong).  Whew, way to heady after a long day.  Thanks for the input.

When you make your dub, you must make it over firewire if you want the pulldown flags for extraction to be included. This would be vital for FCP systems. ite If the flags are not important and they just want a copy then SDI is fine, composite or component dub is fine. It is all 29.97 on tape.

Hope that helps,

jan