DPX files

Bill DiPietra

• Premium Member

Hi gang. As I stated in a previous thread, I am planning on scanning my 16mm short film. My question is, if I get it output to a DPX file, will that file format be recognized on a Mac computer so that I could burn DVDs on my own? Or would I have to go back to the labs for that?

Thanks for any help.

• Premium Member

I'd have the facility scan to a DPX stack, and archive it on LTO. Then convert to ProRes and a DVD image file, which you could take home on a hard drive. Check the price, they may even make a DVD for not much money, and you could use that in a duplicating tower.

-- J.S.

Hi gang. As I stated in a previous thread, I am planning on scanning my 16mm short film. My question is, if I get it output to a DPX file, will that file format be recognized on a Mac computer so that I could burn DVDs on my own? Or would I have to go back to the labs for that?

Thanks for any help.

Yes, a mac will recognize DPX files. Which program you use matters. Are you using a Final Cut Studio platform? If so, Color can make quicktime files from your DPX stacks and from those quicktimes you can make DVDs. Also, Graphics Converter does a descent job of batch processing dpx to quicktime. With it you can also do a quick "auto balance" while converting to quicktime. Keep in mind that dpx files take up huge amounts of storage space and converting them can take a while. I did all this rescently for a S16 short, worked out great.

Gluetools, which is yet another Final Cut plugin, allows you to work with dpx files directly in Final Cut. I have not used Gluetools, perhaps someone who has will answer.

• Premium Member
Yes, a mac will recognize DPX files. Which program you use matters. Are you using a Final Cut Studio platform? If so, Color can make quicktime files from your DPX stacks and from those quicktimes you can make DVDs. Also, Graphics Converter does a descent job of batch processing dpx to quicktime. With it you can also do a quick "auto balance" while converting to quicktime. Keep in mind that dpx files take up huge amounts of storage space and converting them can take a while. I did all this rescently for a S16 short, worked out great.

Gluetools, which is yet another Final Cut plugin, allows you to work with dpx files directly in Final Cut. I have not used Gluetools, perhaps someone who has will answer.

Thanks a lot, Chris. Yes, I will be using FCP Studio. My finished B&W short will be about 8 minutes in length. I am only getting the finished product scanned. Can you give me an approximate size that you think the file may wind up being?

Thanks again.

Can you give me an approximate size that you think the file may wind up being?

Thanks again.

8 minutes will be about 113 gigabytes worth of dpx files, since one 2k dpx frame of Super 16 (2048x1260) is about 10 mb. A little smaller if it was scanned at HD. How big the quicktime file is (or m2v/mpeg2 file if you're going to burn to dvd) depends on your compression settings.

• Premium Member
8 minutes will be about 113 gigabytes worth of dpx files, since one 2k dpx frame of Super 16 (2048x1260) is about 10 mb. A little smaller if it was scanned at HD. How big the quicktime file is (or m2v/mpeg2 file if you're going to burn to dvd) depends on your compression settings.

Thanks a lot!