1080 24p project - Given footage shot at 1080i 59.94

Andrew M Cohen

• Premium Member

Greetings,

I am currently working on a short film where 70% of the footage purchased was at 1080 24p.

We received a HDCAM tape of footage we want to utilize that was transfered from film to HDCAM 1080 59.94.

Stupid question... is there an easy way to get the footage converted to 1080 24p? I can't go back to the film unfortunately so I am stuck ( very happy to be given a large about of footage)

I am guessing, the footage would have to be captured as native 1080 59.94 as a sub-master, then run through a terranx hardware processor to output to 1080 24p?

We don't have HDCAM in house so I will be renting a deck or hopefully the post house I choose with provide me with a digital master ( on a Hard Dive not D5)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Andrew

• Premium Member

Sure, it can be done. Teranex or Arri's Relativity will un-do the 3-2 pulldown and re-assemble the pairs of fields that came from each film frame, to give you 24p. There's a resolution loss from having gone through interlace, which may or may not be an issue depending on the content.

You don't say where you're located, but out here, FotoKem in Burbank has Relativity. Lots of places have Teranex.

Cut together the 1080i stuff you want, with handles, and only convert what you need. Treat the conversions as if they were the originals in your final EDL.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Sure, it can be done. Teranex or Arri's Relativity will un-do the 3-2 pulldown and re-assemble the pairs of fields that came from each film frame, to give you 24p. There's a resolution loss from having gone through interlace, which may or may not be an issue depending on the content.

You don't say where you're located, but out here, FotoKem in Burbank has Relativity. Lots of places have Teranex.

Cut together the 1080i stuff you want, with handles, and only convert what you need. Treat the conversions as if they were the originals in your final EDL.

-- J.S.

I am located in Long Beach, CA.

Relativity & Teranex are they apple to apples? is one better than the other?

• Premium Member

Just to throw a spanner in the works, there are plenty of free tools which will do this (especially to 8-bit material). It'll be an overnight renderable process, but it'll be cheap.

P

My workflow for this is to capture the HDCAM tape to a hard drive (well, it'll need to be captured to a RAID as single hard drives are too slow to capture uncompressed 1080) as uncompressed 1080i 59.94. I then use Cinema Tools (part of FInal Cut Studio) to remove the 3:2 pulldown. Most telecine houses place the A frame on either video frame 0 or 5. Of course, the simplest way to do all this is to find a post house in your area that can do it for you as they can answer a lot of questions that will come up.

• 1 month later...

I am located in Long Beach, CA.

Relativity & Teranex are they apple to apples? is one better than the other?

There are major differences between the two.

Teranex is baseband only. SDI in, SDI out. Requires multiple passes if you are stacking functions.

Relativity is a file-based system with SDI In/Out capabilities as well. One pass, done, no matter how many things you stack on it.