Cinema Lover's Theater in NYC?

Chris Durham

I've just moved to NY and am looking for a great theater to go see movies at. I'm willing to make a bit of a trek to avoid the small, cramped, small-screened cinemas that seem to be around me. A few months ago I was in LA and went to Grauman's and, compared to TX where I was living, the bar was certainly raised for what a projection and theater should look like. There's got to be something at least approaching that quality in NY. Don't get me wrong, I love all the cine-love here and I'm happy to be in any size theater, like Film Forum or Anthology, if I'm getting to watch Godard or Renoir; but if I'm out to see Iron Man 2, or anything contemporary for that matter, I want something quality. So where's a cinephile to go?

google says:

Stadium 13 on 42nd street

i think 260 West 23rd Street is good..the screen seemed big to me...

my all time favorite was Cineplex Odeon Worldwide Cinemas, 320 West 50th St.

$3 second run movies..always packed, a real "boo and hiss" place where people throw popcorn and

cheer when the villian gets it...

sadly it closed...

I agree with Ziegfeld. great theatre, but most theaters in NY u must get there at least a half hour early to make sure you get a seat you like.

Don't go late and sit in the back or front row.

Radio City Music Hall is good too if there is a special Screening of something.

Edited by timHealy

Thanks, Everyone, for the responses. I'll definitely be checking out the Ziegfeld, and probably the others. IMAX doesn't do much for me if it's just a blow-up so I avoid it for most things, but it will be good to know where they are.