Keeping in shape

Brian Dzyak

As most of us know, moving gear around and shooting handheld and/or with Steadicam makes being in the camera department a very physical job. It can be taxing, particularly long-term over the course of a career.

What kinds of things do YOU do to stay in shape so that you can do your job well and hopefully not injure yourself?

Do you stretch every day or during the work day? Exercise regimen? If so, how do you keep it up when the hours get long and all you really want to do is stay in bed?

• Premium Member

Good post. I was just thinking about this yesterday as I was making sure to use my core when moving gear. :huh: But seriously I was.

Ive always been a runner, but in the past year or so Ive started lifting weights and the difference at work is night and day. Especially because I do a pretty hefty back workout as part of my regimen. I do the standard on other stuff, but with my back I do pull-ups, middle back, and lower back. I cant believe the difference its made on set. Its pretty remarkable and because Ive always been a fairly small dude, so its nice to be comfortable lifting the stuff we sometimes have to lift.

As far as making time around work, its hard. The worst for me is in the morning. Ill be on the bench struggling with all my might to push up the weight and all I can think is, I was sleeping fifteen minutes ago, and I went to bed only five hours ago. Is this really healthy? So for me, the best is after work on my way home, because if I go home first, theres no freakn way Ill go back out. That means probably packing clothes before work, but it's really hard either way and when I get a big job I definitely slow down on my workouts. The upside of being freelance is you occasionally get a chunk of time off to get back into it.

Working out just sucks, but if you can push yourself; it does pay off in this business. Not to mention making up for craft service…

My director's gut is coming along nicely. Combine that with a steady flow of on set food, and I have no need for retirement savings!

R,