Robin Hood

Did anybody here work on the latest Robin Hood film? Can you tell us what it was shot in?

Ridley Scott, Russel Crowe, epic film. It was shot in MAGICVISION!!!! :D Actually it was shot on super 35, Kodak Vision2 50D 5201, Vision2 250D 5205, Vision3 500T 5219 which is pretty close to Magicvision, but of course everyone knows real Magicvision is 5260 shot on anamorphic. I'm REALLY looking forward to this one! B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Remember, that, even the original "Gladiator" (this film is Gladiator III) was a S35 blowup. I think the second one "The Crusades" or something which more-or-less tanked was also S35.

Hopefully R. Scott'll have better luck this time around. I am going to go see it, but am not expecting it to be on the same calibre as "Gladiator." If anything, it looks like the same old thing as the opening scene in "Gladiator" where they are fighting the barbarian hordes in Germania.

Yeah, I know it's a 2K DI John.

But, from a resolution standpoint, 2K DIs, in this situation ONLY , are an improvement from 35mm Super blowups. . .

That's interesting that it's in the same forrest though. Good to see you again on the board.

Interesting, what kind of camera did you guys use on this shoot?

Sometime ago I saw photos from the set with what looked like a Panavised Arricam LT. For most of the film they also used Ridley's favourite lens since he switched to Super-35, the long Angenieux Optimo zoom (24-290mm, T/2.8). I've seen it digitally projected at 2K and John Mathieson's work is very good, specially on the first 100 minutes of the film, but it suffers on the battle scenes due to poor and changing weather conditions. But they should have avoided 90º shutter angles, which plagues almost every action scene.

• Premium Member

Cate really stole the show. Russell meated his way through the whole thing. I'm still trying to grasp the sense of distance that ends up in all of Ridley's works. I never quite cross that line of full transference with his principles.