Blue Screen & Red Camera w/Tungsten

Hi All,

I'm shooting a job on Tuesday with a Red Camera and a blue screen. I'm aware of the Red Camera insensitivity to blue light when used with tungsten fixtures. So knowing this I'm wondering wether it might be worth doing a couple of things like adding a 80C or 80D filter on the lens just to help it along a bit and possibly compensating by adding a 1/4 or 1/8 CTO on the key lights for the subject.

I also have access to some Super Blue Kino's for the 20x20' Blue Screen which might mean I'm worrying about nothing.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :-)

• Premium Member

Hi All,

I'm shooting a job on Tuesday with a Red Camera and a blue screen. I'm aware of the Red Camera insensitivity to blue light when used with tungsten fixtures. So knowing this I'm wondering wether it might be worth doing a couple of things like adding a 80C or 80D filter on the lens just to help it along a bit and possibly compensating by adding a 1/4 or 1/8 CTO on the key lights for the subject.

I also have access to some Super Blue Kino's for the 20x20' Blue Screen which might mean I'm worrying about nothing.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :-)

Gday Adam !

Hope you're going well.

I've shot a fair bit with RED on green screen and would say that the tungsten / green screen isn't *REALLY* worth worrying about. I've also tested with the 80a/c/d (and others) and would say I found the tradeoff in sensitivity loss didn't really gain much advantage in noise cleanliness. You're sort of trading one issue for another.

Super blue kino's are AWESOME and magically make most key issues go away, unless you're shooting head to toe (to the floor). This is the single best step you can take to improve your keys.

I'm not sure that adding CTO would help as such but if you need it for a BG/FG match then again I wouldn't be too fussed. I guess it depends a little on your level of shot complexity but yes there is a very slight advantage to shooting with daylight, but for me it's not enough to warrant stop loss on filters of the pain of daylight (and not continuous spectrum) sources.

Have a great shoot mate.

jb

JB! Yes am good thanks, keeping busy with a fair bit of corporate work. But have like 3 shorts and a music video on the go so keeping well. Have been checking out Lowdown the last couple of weeks, good work dude, great show too!

Thanks for your thoughts on the Blue Screen thing, am looking forward to seeing those Super Blue's in action. So really I should be spot metering the blue screen if thats the case and setting it like half to one stop under key?

Cheers,

AH :-)

• Premium Member

Blue and green screens are quite different in this case. The Bayer sensor has twice as many green photosites as blue, so the resolution in green is twice as good. Sensitivity and saturation are weak in the blue channel.

-- J.S.