Zone system

sandeep sony

Yes, it can help with cinematography - though I have a feeling only REALLY with film, not digital.

It is not only about proper exposure. It is about the math and methodology behind choosing how MUCH to over or underexpose, and/or how MUCH to over or under develop to achieve a specific artistically desired end result. Seeing more into the shadows without blowing out the highlights kind of thing - does that make sense?

For cinema it REALLY needs to be tested BEFORE you shoot for your projects. This isn't an "on the fly" assumption that it will work. Test your methods with a specific lab in order to get repeatable results - each lab will be a little different here and there, so stick with the lab you did your tests.

Now, I'm fully open to being wrong, so keep that in mind with the next statement.

Given that there is no "development" with digital acquisition (you might quote RAW capture, but even THAT has its limits as far as tonal range), I can't see how the more in-depth aspects of exposure/development compensation would work for digital. If you've overexposed for your shadow detail, there's no such thing as underdevelop for highlights - they're officially blown out. And likewise for underexposure for bright highlights - there's no underdevelopment for shadow detail - you've got a sea of grain awaiting you.

For digital, I think it is best to take it as a solid understanding of exposure.

If your shadows are going to be too dark, better bounce more light in there, or get another lamp to even out the contrast. Get it?

I hope this helps-

-Lew