Corrupt 8gb card with footage

Edgar Dubrovskiy

Hello hello!

Was DPing a music video yesterday - shooting 5D. 2x 16gb cards, 1x 8gb card (both SanDisk Extreme).

At some point, clapper/loader came to me and told that one of the cards made the computer to freeze - and nothing could be done and it had to re-booted.

After re-booting, it stopped recognizing the card (saw it as an empty and 4gb, not 8gb for some reason). However, 5D showed that there is some footage on it (not in a playback mode - that showed "No image", but when you go into Format menu - again, showed that the card is 4gb and is almost full - which seems to be correct, as clapper/loader estimated about 3gb of footage to be on it).

We used the 8gb once on that shoot - to shoot a frame-leader - and it worked for that upload in the morning. Then it was formatted in camera, footage was shot, and the incident described above happened.

Before and after the incident - both 16gb cards were absolutely fine and worked on the camera and on the mac.

Any ideas on how to recover the footage (plans are to use Data Rescue 3 - will see how that works out, luckily footage on the card is not that vital)?

And what exactly might have happened - so to prevent from it happening agin?

Cheers!

• Premium Member

I once had a accidentally formatted P2 card. Data rescue was able to restore some of the clips. I'd also recommend it.

Since the CF cards are FAT32 there is no other file systems necessary so if you need to buy software maybe that'd be good to know.

Good luck

Oliver

• Premium Member

Try the commercial recovery apps - most CF cards come with them, or I wouldn't be surprised if one of the manufacturers didn't have a giveaway. I have seen them work - to my intense surprise - but I wouldn't hold your breath.

16GB is too damned big for DSLR footage. Eggs/basket issue.

P

Hi guys - just a quick update, if anyone finds this useful.

Data Rescue 3 managed to restore all the clips - worked perfectly. Took about 2 and a half hours (2 to scan, and about half an hour to restore 3gb of data).

It seems that the combination of the computer and a bad card reader had triggered the problem - because as soon as I've connected the card to my mac using a new card reader, mac showed the usual 5D folders to be present on the card, where the mac on the shoot showed the card to be absolutely empty or not recognizing the card at all.

So here it is. Safe! :)