Heat resistance & light quality of Rosco silent frost vs. soft frost vs. tough rolux ?

Matt Irwin

I'm considering having a custom diffusion cover made for a Lowel Rifa light since the original is totally thrashed, and I hated the diffusion quality anyway...

My favorite heavy diffusion is Rosco Silent Frost because of its high transmission and beautiful glow, though I'm concerned about the heat resistance in this sort of application (esp. with a 1k lamp in the box). Any opinions on this?

I understand that Rolux is their heat-resistant heavy diffuser, though I don't think I've used it before. How does it stack up against silent frost in terms of light quality?

I haven't found a cloth diffuser that I like enough to pay for a custom cover, but if there are any suggestions in comparison to silent frost, I'm all ears.

Any opinions much appreciated.

Thanks,

Any gel with Tough in the name is more heat resistant. Tough White Diffusion being more heat resistant than White diffusion. Depends on how soft you want the light, how much of the hard center you want to preserve.

One way to deal with the heat would be to put a layer of heat shield between the light and the frost gel. then you wont have to worry as much about the heat burning up which ever diffusion you feel has the best light quality.