DLSR for Stop Motion Animation

Brian Rose

I've done animation for a number of years, and my old digital camera is getting pretty long in the tooth. Besides, it was a beginner, consumer level job with few controls, and I need something more powerful now that I've gained experience as a filmmaker and cinematographer. But there are so many DLSRs out there, and I could use some guidance.

Since this is more of a hobby, I'm not looking to break the bank on a DLSR. Additionally, I'm not really keen on getting an HD capable camera like one of the Canons, since I prefer to rent based on each client's needs. I really just need a nice nuts and bolts shooter, something in the 500 to 700 range (tops).

Within those parameters, I need something with manual control, since consistency of focus, exposure, white balance, between exposures is key to quality animation.

Also, it needs to be capable of remote control to prevent camera operate jiggle during shooting.

The Pentax K-X intrigues me, because it seems to fit all these parameters, plus I can use all my K-mount 35mm lenses with it.

Any others models worth looking at?

Your advice will be most appreciated!

Best,

BR