does dvx 100a converter to hd exist?

kyle merryman

• Premium Member

You can upconvert it... but In all honesty, I don't think that'd be worth it. There was the Andromeda modification for it, way back when, but what was about bypassing the DV Compression for SD, not HD as far as I know.

• Premium Member

The Andromeda modification is a really odd bird- the Green CCD is offset in the DVX, and the Andromeda software takes that into account by using an algorithm based on a Bayer pattern to produce a pseudo-HD size of 1540x984 with an NTSC pixel aspect ratio. So it scales very nicely to 720, and 1080 isn't too shabby either. The really amazing thing about it is the considerable increase in dynamic range you get from bypassing the camera's normal processing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Kyle,

I had shot a feature called The New Year Parade on the DVX and we did a limited theatrical release last fall. Before our 2 week run in Philly, I had the film upconverted at The Dive, which is a great local post house (they did the digital effects on The Road). I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much and was really blown away. Due to some technical issues at the theater, we had to transfer to Blu Ray at the last minute, but it really looked fantastic (of course, this is relative - we shot the film for $7,000 and it's clear we did not film on 35mm). So, if you're really in a pinch, it is possible.

Take care,

Tom

www.thenewyearparade.com

• 4 weeks later...

Dive is a very nice place, and Tom, I'm wondering if that was the Ritz theater... if just walked that same Shooters---Ritz---Bluray Waltz.

That's awesome -it was at the Ritz! Congrats on your screening - I hope it went well!

• 1 month later...

Hi Kyle,

I had shot a feature called The New Year Parade on the DVX and we did a limited theatrical release last fall. Before our 2 week run in Philly, I had the film upconverted at The Dive, which is a great local post house (they did the digital effects on The Road). I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much and was really blown away. Due to some technical issues at the theater, we had to transfer to Blu Ray at the last minute, but it really looked fantastic (of course, this is relative - we shot the film for $7,000 and it's clear we did not film on 35mm). So, if you're really in a pinch, it is possible.

Take care,

Tom

www.thenewyearparade.com

thanks for your reply Tom, i just now see your post after being gone from this site for a good month or so.

so when you say you had the film upconverted, i'm supposing you mean had the DVX 100(a or b?) converted to HD tape?

i see....well i did just now see your website a kudos for your film!

i guess originally i was thinking of converting the ccd's in the DVX to hd chips, but i'm guessing that'd be not worth the bucks....

for the money selling the DVX and getting one or two T2i's is one thought that comes to mind....maybe.

what camera you using on your next film?