What is worth upgrading to from an XL2?

Alastair Crimshaw

Hi all. I have a Canon XL2 at the moment with a LetusXL DoF adapter I sometimes use.

I have a commission coming in that is paying a few thousand and I'm looking to upgrade to an HD camera, mainly to improve upon the image quality of the XL2 and also appeal to those sometimes ignorant clients that request HD only!

I really like the features and ease of use of the XL2 and have hated other cameras such as the Sony Z1. I am looking to get a XLH1. Will I really be able to see the difference jumping from XL2 to XLH1? Are there any better HD cameras out there at the same price point of the XLH1?

Also, am I dumb for not jumping on the DLSR bandwagon? They produce stunning results at a low price point but they don't look as professional to clients and sound is a bit harder to do with them. Are standard size prosumer cams still the way to go for professional video production?

I am also very interested to see the results of using my LetusXL with an XLH1. While I could get a nice DoF with the XL2 and Letus the image quality always seemed to be a bit blocky and lacking somehow.

Any tips for an HD newbie?

Thanks

• Premium Member

Depending on the lenses you own with your Letus (if they are i.e. Nikons or Canon EF) i'd go with a Video-DSLR rather than the XLH1. Very roughly explained: A 5D2 has "more effective pixels", better compression and data rate, and the CF card workflow just shines over using tape. Also forget about your clients may think that you aren't "pro" enough using a DSLR for shooting video! Buy one of those fancypants Zacuto, Arri whatever rigs, that's why they are making them...

• 3 weeks later...

I suspect many more professional productions are still bring shot with prosumer than with DSLR cameras. The EX1 or EX3 cameras offer the best bang for bucks, however, if you want the shallow DOF a DSLR camera would be worth considering. Just check on the frame rates - the 7D seems to be more video friendly than the 5D, plus it's cheaper. You check on the pros and cons of shooting with a DSLR.

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=44945

Hi all. I have a Canon XL2 at the moment with a LetusXL DoF adapter I sometimes use.

I have a commission coming in that is paying a few thousand and I'm looking to upgrade to an HD camera, mainly to improve upon the image quality of the XL2 and also appeal to those sometimes ignorant clients that request HD only!

I really like the features and ease of use of the XL2 and have hated other cameras such as the Sony Z1. I am looking to get a XLH1. Will I really be able to see the difference jumping from XL2 to XLH1? Are there any better HD cameras out there at the same price point of the XLH1?

Also, am I dumb for not jumping on the DLSR bandwagon? They produce stunning results at a low price point but they don't look as professional to clients and sound is a bit harder to do with them. Are standard size prosumer cams still the way to go for professional video production?

I am also very interested to see the results of using my LetusXL with an XLH1. While I could get a nice DoF with the XL2 and Letus the image quality always seemed to be a bit blocky and lacking somehow.

Any tips for an HD newbie?

Thanks

I recently used both the xl2 and the xla1 for the first time.

I was shocked when I used the xl2 as I had used an xl1 before and had a lot of reservations but the xl2 turned out to be a fantastic camera with well positioned controls and great manual features and a really nice picture.

I was really impressed so I was very excited about the idea of using the xlA1 but sadly I was very disapointed. The camera was a pain it was impossible to find settings for stuff. I wanted to put it into progressive mode and the owner was saying it couldn't do that (which is strictly true as it only has a frame movie mode like thing 24f) I eventually found it hidden away under a menu called signal settings. It got worse when I wanted to change the gamma settings and I found it really difficult to work out even with the manual! Generally the camera was a pain.

I realise the xlh1 is a bit of a different camera but even so I would be wary.

Also please note that canon are just about to release new cameras that are light years ahead of the xlh1. Much higher bit rates and 4:2:2 colour space.

Presently if I was to buy a camcorder it would be the EX1 or the more advanced EX1R.

You might be able to get a deal on an EX1 right now as people are upgrading to the EX1R and retailers are reducing older stock.

However the camcorder market is about to undergo a massive change after being static for some time. By the end of this year there will be many more revolutionary cameras.

As for DSLR's. They might be worth looking at but rather than a 7D, I would be inclined to look at the 550d or rebel xi (or whatever it is called) as they have the same video options as the 7D but are much much cheaper.

Might be worth waiting on the camcorder upgrade and getting a cheap rebel or 550d to play with in the mean time. Definitely I think you should wait for the new canons if sticking with canon (They might already be shipping by now??), otherwise look hard at the ex1.

love

Freya

• Premium Member

EOS-550D, or Rebel T2i in the US. For some reason. Reminds me of the "hyper-performance road vehicle" I once saw at the LA motor show. Grah.

XLH1 is probably sharper than a DSLR. It's very sharp. It's also pretty long in the tooth now and increasingly being made to look silly by things like the EX1; I'm astonished it's still on the books even now.

P