Buying a DVX 100a

Stephen Floyd

I have contacted a local seller on craigslist about buying a DVX 100a for aroud $1,100. I'm pretty sure I can tell if the camera is in working condition, but what should I look for to tell if this guy in on the level? He says no one but me has expressed interest in buying the camera, and I could not find his name or email address on any searches I conducted. Should any of that matter as long as the camera works?

• Premium Member

I have contacted a local seller on craigslist about buying a DVX 100a for aroud $1,100. I'm pretty sure I can tell if the camera is in working condition, but what should I look for to tell if this guy in on the level? He says no one but me has expressed interest in buying the camera, and I could not find his name or email address on any searches I conducted. Should any of that matter as long as the camera works?

Look at the tape hours and ask about a service record. If it's more than maybe a couple hundred hours and it's never been serviced, I'd pass.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up getting the camera and it has worked out great. The gentleman I bought it from had been using it for wedding videos and said he was sick of making them. I'm going to use it for digital shorts, and I have already found use for it as a "B" camera on a local feture production.

Thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...

I ended up getting the camera and it has worked out great. The gentleman I bought it from had been using it for wedding videos and said he was sick of making them. I'm going to use it for digital shorts, and I have already found use for it as a "B" camera on a local feture production.

Thanks for the help.

why did you spend 1100 on an SD camera. You could have purchase a lot more camera for that amount of money.

• Premium Member

Not really for video cameras. DVXs are still going for 'round 1500 these days, used, from BH, and despite it being SD it still has a place in production-- especially documentary or for-web video where vDSLRs and even "hd" systems don't quite fit.

• Premium Member
You could have purchase a lot more camera for that amount of money.

I'm not so sure about that, either. The DVX was and is a really, really seriously good little SD camera. It is certainly a much better SD camera than most of the current crop are as HD cameras. The Sony EX series, the Canon equivalent, even the JVC stuff (although they're not -as- bad) have a lot of pixels and not much else. The DVX is a genuinely nice camera and I can see buying one if you have that very specific specific need for a 4:3 SD machine.

P