4 q's about my new arri 2c

Michael Baltazar

Guest Bruce Frye

Hello. Arri made a highspeed 2C that ran at 80fps. It had an 80fps tach, a special pressure plate on the gate identifialble by 4 extra screws. The movement and shutter were balanced for the higher revolutions and the camera was capable of a steady image at 80fps. It was designated as Catologue# 2040 IIC HS. The high speed motors have the prefix HS on the serial number and require about 32 volts to go 80fps. the medical high speed motors bolt right onto the standard 2Cs. but need a controller (a rheostat).

All 2Cs are capable of rock steadyness if tweaked corectly and if the primary movement parts are in spec.

Variable shutter parts might still be available from Arri, I think all the extra parts might cost around $1500.00 if available.

Yes, the switch on your camer is a roll-out switch. It gets slapped by the whipping tail of the film and shuts the camera off.

I have several HS Arri 2Cs and a microprocessor driven crystal speed control board with digital tach, footage counter, remote capabilities etc. and with the proper motor and gear scheme will run the camera from .01 fps to 80 fps. It's a professional quality product.

I also have an Arri 2C 2B shop manual ( a high quality repro) that shows explosed views and assembly dissasembly, about 60 pages.

Good luck and enjoy your truly High Definiton camera!

Thanks for all the responses.

Here's an update on the light leak issue I'm having in case anyone is interested.

After some time, money, and testing, I've concluded its coming from the 'gear' chamber (i.e. the right side of the 2c body where the gears are) most likely kicking up light back into the mag. It must only happen when the gears are in a certain position which is why its intermittent.

I've sealed up some holes (like at the tachometer) where I've noticed light coming into this gear chamber, and have managed to minimize the leaks, but there is still a little getting through.

So question is - is this chamber 'supposed' to be light proof? Or is it the magazine that's supposed to be light proof at the gear connection?