Sign in to follow this  
Olivier Martinez

SD lens on HD cam?

Hi! I need to do a shooting on HD with Panasonic HPX2100E and have my own old sd-lens 2/3. Is it possible to use it on the hd-cam? will i get loss of focal length? Thanks for some help!

If both the lens and the camera are native 2/3" technology, you are good. If the camera sensor is larger than the one the lens was designed for, you would vignette the image, if it was smaller your field of view would change, not your focal length. The HPX2100E camera IS 2/3", so if your lens is 2/3" as well, then your field of view (and apparent focal length) remains the same.

The SD lens won't give you all the refinements that an HD lens might (it also depends on what HD lens you are comparing it with), but no one will tell the difference if you know what your doing. If you shot side by side comparisons of color and line charts, or if you projected the images on a 50' screen, you would see a difference. For most other everyday applications, the difference would be negligible to nil, even to trained eyes, particularly if they didn't know what lens was used.