how many gates are there ?

sandeep sony

16mm camera ratio is 1.33:1

super 16mm ratio is 1.66:1

35mm ratio is 1.33:1

super 35mm ratio is 1.66:1

anamorphic ratio for 35mm is 2.40:1

Is anamorphic is separate gate or what,wt is 1.77:1?

i know we have full open gate,academy gate,matted wide screen gate,anamorphic (cinemascope) gate, here can we compare gate as aperture.

i read so many books,but iam not clear about this,please some body clear my doubts

Why are you asking? What exactly are you looking for? Why don't you do the research yourself?

Since 1888 there must have been hundreds! A partial list is here

Or maybe you mean in use today? 16mm 35mm

Now ask us how many ways there are to record video. <_<

• Premium Member

You have to separate camera gates from projection gates.

For example, most modern cameras shooting 4-perf 35mm have a Full Aperture (Super-35) gate, which is 1.33 : 1. But the lens may be shifted over optically for a sound aperture (Academy, 1.66, 1.85, anamorphic) format, not centered for Super-35 / Full Aperture photography. And the groundglass will have the smaller areas marked inside the Full Aperture for composing. Or the lens will be centered for Full Aperture for Super-35 photography.

Super-35 is not 1.66. It just means using the Full Aperture width in order to compose a widescreen image. Some early Super-35 movies put a 1.66 hard matte in the gate but that practice stopped soon. 4-perf 35mm Full Aperture is 1.33 : 1.

A few older cameras may have had an Academy Aperture gate installed (1.37 : 1).

There is also 3-perf 35mm Full Aperture, which is 1.78 : 1. Again, people compose different aspect ratios inside of this.

Most cameras shooting anamorphic use Full Aperture gates with the lens shifted for sound aperture projection. The projected area is marked in the groundglass.

The dimensions of the 35mm anamorphic projection mask are published, as well as for matted 1.66, 1.85 projection.

Why are you asking? What exactly are you looking for? Why don't you do the research yourself?

Since 1888 there must have been hundreds! A partial list is here

Or maybe you mean in use today? 16mm 35mm

Now ask us how many ways there are to record video. <_<

ZING! Hey Karel, whats the best video camera?

No competition:

RetroSony_Video_Rover_Dv2400_Portapack.jpg

That pic makes me laugh! ( :lol: <- me, laughing) That recorder weighed nearly as much as she did!

Just did a YouTube search

Nice vignetting.

David, you didn't really know all that off the top of your head did you..? :blink:

Edited by Karel Bata

No competition:

RetroSony_Video_Rover_Dv2400_Portapack.jpg

That pic makes me laugh! ( :lol: <- me, laughing) That recorder weighed nearly as much as she did!

Just did a YouTube search

Nice vignetting.

David, you didn't really know all that off the top of your head did you..? :blink:

Awesome...does it shoot native 16x9? I hear thats the bestest.