How is this bullet time-like effect done?

"Another level"

What level > ?

(crap music level?)

They're just mannequins and money held up by either monofilament or maybe a bit of CGI too, probably some clean up in post when the supporting hoohah became obvious under certain angles of light...

If they aren't mannequins then its to be applauded that they made them look like them :lol:

You can also get clues from the way the flow of the motion blur works well in this video in the direction of the camera movement - often in bullet time its can look 'steppy' as the cameras are motionless but the made up movement/camera path should have had motion bur along that path - (but doesn't...)

Why aren't we moving on from this ?? :huh:

They're just mannequins and money held up by either monofilament or maybe a bit of CGI too, probably some clean up in post when the supporting hoohah became obvious under certain angles of light...

If they aren't mannequins then its to be applauded that they made them look like them :lol:

Nope, not mannequins. Just people standing still. It looks like the same method they used for that clown robbery promo video they did for the cinema-wide TV. They specifically cast mimes, dancers, or anyone who has well practiced muscle control. Notice there is no people hanging in mid-air or faster than possible dolly shots like in The Matrix. For just a normal camera move and people frozen in natural positions the oldest trick is still the best (just stand still).

Think of how much that many detailed mannequins would have cost. Yikes! Oh, and I would say they look like mannequins because of a combination of overdone makeup, excessive lighting, and RED camera.

Edited by Adam Hunt

Oh, and I would say they look like mannequins because of a combination of overdone makeup, excessive lighting, and RED camera.

Yup,

But I do wonder about the cost consideration you brought up - overdone make up on skilled mimes/dancers vs. mannequins - sure there is a lot of work for art department and make up again with mannequins but then you don't need all the logistics and time restraints of people management - all just to have them look like mannequins anyway ?

Maybe you know the shoot though so I'll certainly defer to your knowledge in that case - but the point is still on interest.

The water splashes just look like little resin castings or whatever - or if they were feeling frisky they could comp in some CG elements, but I don't recall seeing anything that couldn't have been made and stuck where it was with some crafty gluing (only watched it the once though mind :lol:)

It's fascinating how a trick has come full circle and is stumping people in the 'how did they do that' department - if bullet time hadn't come around and been an option then we'd probably see the shots for exactly what they are.

It looks handheld/dolly/crane - because it is handheld/dolly/crane ;)