Help with 35mm adapter

Hey all... My name is Shaheryar Ahmed and I am primarily a director writer. Along with this I am most of the times a cinematographer too... I own a Sony HVR Z1... I shoot HDV... I happen to know how to light a scene properly... I know how to color correct and grade my scene too...

I saw 35mm adapters a year ago... I think it was a Letus... I have never used it... Im making a feature film as a thesis project (I am a filmmaking student). I thought having a 35mm adapter would really make my film look 'film'. But it is EXPENSIVE. I saw a couple of DIY tutorials on making one but a lot of people I know said it is not worth it. DIY that is. I can't afford a letus or redrock.

A friend of mine who is a cinematographer said that don't get in the hassle of 35mm adapter. Light your scenes properly and grade them. Even in this way you can do so much!

What should I do?

Hey all... My name is Shaheryar Ahmed and I am primarily a director writer. Along with this I am most of the times a cinematographer too... I own a Sony HVR Z1... I shoot HDV... I happen to know how to light a scene properly... I know how to color correct and grade my scene too...

I saw 35mm adapters a year ago... I think it was a Letus... I have never used it... Im making a feature film as a thesis project (I am a filmmaking student). I thought having a 35mm adapter would really make my film look 'film'. But it is EXPENSIVE. I saw a couple of DIY tutorials on making one but a lot of people I know said it is not worth it. DIY that is. I can't afford a letus or redrock.

A friend of mine who is a cinematographer said that don't get in the hassle of 35mm adapter. Light your scenes properly and grade them. Even in this way you can do so much!

What should I do?

DoF Adapters are just a tool. There's no video camera out there that can give you the look of a DoF adapter.

No matter how you light it. Because it has nothing to do with light but with optics.

There's pros and cons

1) It takes a lot of light. and if you use slower lenses, then you need even more light.

2) With a DoF all of a sudden you have the issue of Focus. Focus is crucial and if you are moving the camera (dolly, hand held, etc) you will need a focus assistant because since the depth of field is very shallow, whatever is not in focus it will be out of focus or blurred.

3) In my opinion the DoF only works well with lenses from 35mm til 85mm.

Under 35mm you wont see much difference and beyond 85mm the depth of field is very narrow anyway. And the best effect comes from placing you subject near the camera, so you can have the subject in focus and the background completely out of focus.

DoF Adapters are just a tool. There's no video camera out there that can give you the look of a DoF adapter.

No matter how you light it. Because it has nothing to do with light but with optics.

There's pros and cons

1) It takes a lot of light. and if you use slower lenses, then you need even more light.

2) With a DoF all of a sudden you have the issue of Focus. Focus is crucial and if you are moving the camera (dolly, hand held, etc) you will need a focus assistant because since the depth of field is very shallow, whatever is not in focus it will be out of focus or blurred.

3) In my opinion the DoF only works well with lenses from 35mm til 85mm.

Under 35mm you wont see much difference and beyond 85mm the depth of field is very narrow anyway. And the best effect comes from placing you subject near the camera, so you can have the subject in focus and the background completely out of focus.

I am also ordering an adapter from the US (I'm from the Philippines). Someone told me that if I use a 50mm lens and shoot closeup (of a person's face), the nose may become in sharp focus but the ears are blurred. That's how narrow the depth of field will be. If I do a close up shot like the one I described, what will be a better lens to use so that I'll have the whole head in sharp focus but the background (which could be about 5 feet away) blurred. Thanks and God bless!

What should I do?

Do both: shoot with the adapter and color grade. I would like to pass this warning to you (someone told me this) that when you use the adapter, you'll need a bigger monitor so you can see if you're in sharp focus. Without the adapter, all you need to do is press the little auto focus button.