"No Shutter" Shooting

J. Anthony Gonzales

Has anybody every shot anything with the shutter wide open (or removed)? If my math is correct, this would result in a 1/24 exposure. I would guess that it would give a dream-like quality to movement versus, say, the staccato effect of closing the shutter down to 90 or 45 degees.

Are there any examples in existing films where this effect was used?

Thanks,

John G.

• Premium Member

Removing the shutter would give you smeary images as you need to block light from the film while it is advanced.

Otherwise a shutter angle like 280 would give you a 1/31s exposure which would increase motion blur quite a bit. Shoot some tests and see if you like it.

• Premium Member

With no shutter, you get a lot of vertical smear from the movement of the film advancing through the gate, which normally happens when the shutter is closed. With a normal 180 degree shutter, you could shoot at 12 fps and slow it down to 24 fps if you want a 1/24th shutter speed.

I've often stepped my motor down when I was loosing the light to push for that extra exposure. You can either shoot at 12 fps and have your actors slow down by 50% (you can time it out on a stopwatch), or you can have them act at a normal pace then take the film to be step printed in the lab. The former can work out well if the actors are good enough at slowing down every motion of their body. The latter will result in choppy motion, which is done for effect.

- G.

With no shutter, you get a lot of vertical smear from the movement of the film advancing through the gate, which normally happens when the shutter is closed.  With a normal 180 degree shutter, you could shoot at 12 fps and slow it down to 24 fps if you want a 1/24th shutter speed.

This is a slight divergence off the subject,but still talking shutters.In projection,if a shutter is mis timed,there will be smear.That is,the shutter is out of sync with the intermittent.I have a problem on one of my projectors at the drive in yielding a flickering image.Timing the shutter does nothing.I'm inclined to think that the motor is off just enough to throw the speed a bit,but not enough to be noticeable in the sound.This is a standard two blade shutter.Am I on the right track here or am I mssing something?

Marty