2 , 200 feet rolls from 400 feet roll for AATON A MINIMA

And with the perfs on the other side because of this, I believe. You can't just flip the film. It's a different wind.

Kodak has recently discontinued several Minima-cut stocks, too. :(

Edited by Jim Carlile

• Site Sponsor

And with the perfs on the other side because of this, I believe. You can't just flip the film. It's a different wind.

Kodak has recently discontinued several Minima-cut stocks, too. :(

Ask your lab, for example we have quite a few A-Minima 200' spools and we (and most labs) will load them with whatever stock you have (if you send it in) for a small fee.

-Rob-

www.cinelab.com

Now with more Y

post-15580-12768267228761.jpg

post-15580-12768267324476.jpg

• Premium Member

The final image has to end up the same, so the perf issue has to do with the film being wound emulsion side out. As Robert says, it is possible to re-spool stock, but I have heard that it is best to let it sit for a "while" before using because the film does take a "Set" on the roll. The "while" is probably a couple of weeks.

I am no expert on this mind you, I have not seen either the camera or its special spool.

• Site Sponsor

The final image has to end up the same, so the perf issue has to do with the film being wound emulsion side out. As Robert says, it is possible to re-spool stock, but I have heard that it is best to let it sit for a "while" before using because the film does take a "Set" on the roll. The "while" is probably a couple of weeks.

I am no expert on this mind you, I have not seen either the camera or its special spool.

We have reloaded these 200' spools and people have shot with them the same day without problems.

-Rob-

• 2 weeks later...

We have reloaded these 200' spools and people have shot with them the same day without problems.

-Rob-

If you load conventional b-wind camera original into those spools, don't you end up shooting through the base? That may not be much of a problem-- it happened all the time with lab stocks in-camera-- but my understanding is that's why Aaton uses a-wind original, because of their different feed mechanism.

• Premium Member

If you load conventional b-wind camera original into those spools, don't you end up shooting through the base?

If you re-spool regular film (supplied as B Wind emuslion IN) onto anton spools, you wind it emulsion OUT, and so you end up with a roll that would be "A Wind" as the perfs end up on the other side when you flip the film to wind it emulsion OUT.

• Site Sponsor

If you load conventional b-wind camera original into those spools, don't you end up shooting through the base? That may not be much of a problem-- it happened all the time with lab stocks in-camera-- but my understanding is that's why Aaton uses a-wind original, because of their different feed mechanism.

You would not directly wind the 400' roll onto the 200' aaton spool, in fact you would wind it in the darkroom to a split reel first and then back wind it to the 200' spool to keep keycode ascending. And of course wind it emulsion out onto the aaton spool or you will shoot through the base which you would not want unless that is what you want.

-rob-