Scoopic filters (behind the lens)

Bo Price

Hey everybody,

I'm running some camera tests with a new Scoopic this weekend, and I was wondering if anybody has used the gel-filter slot on a Scoopic, and what were the results compared to regular on-the-lens filters.

Also, where do you get these filters? Do you just cut them down from other gels? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Bo

• Premium Member

I believe you can still order them directly from Kodak. Kodak Wratten Filters. I have some for one of my Scoopics... Kodak has a huge catalog of support equipment and materials including "do not x-ray" stickers, handbooks, greycards and other odds and ends.

I would suggest however just getting a good glass filter and not use those; I've heard negative comments about their use although I have no direct experience.

An economic alternative is to get a free swatch book of Rosco gels from a camera store and use those. Just find the gel you're looking for, remove it from the book (the plastic pin holding it all together will come apart with little to no effort), cut it to size, place it in the filter holder and you're ready to go. Still, a proper glass filter is the way to go generally (there are slight focusing issues that can crop up I've been told, not to mention possible light leaks) but this is an effective, emergency short cut.

• Premium Member

An economic alternative is to get a free swatch book of Rosco gels from a camera store and use those. Just find the gel you're looking for, remove it from the book (the plastic pin holding it all together will come apart with little to no effort), cut it to size, place it in the filter holder and you're ready to go.

Those Rosco gels are intended for Lights, not for the camera lens, so they might have defects which would show in the film. The behind the lens holder is very close to the film plane so any defect will likely be in focus on the film.

The wratten Gels are made for image path use, (hence the relatively higher cost) and putting them behind the lens protects them from most damage. Some Glass filters are actually made of two glass flats with a wratten gel between them.

On Camera with a filter holder, The technician who sets the lens may have used a Gel when setting the lens. In that case, you may HAVE to use a gel, (even if it is just a UV) to get correct focus. If the camera was set without the gel, then adding one may shift the focus. Fortunately the gels are thin so you can probably get away with overlooking this. Something in the back of my head keeps saying that the effect is likely more pronounced at the wide angle setting.

• 3 months later...