"Biggest" DOF w/Panasonic GH1, Red1, Scarlet, & Canon ??

Bwana George

I have a hypothetical question I'd like to throw out there and see what your opinions are. Just humor me and give me your advise and expertise in this area.

IF all these cameras, the RED-One, the Scarlet, the Panasonic GH1, and the Canon 5D Mark II, used EXACTLY THE SAME size/portion of the sensor, which one would produce the BEST quality image with the "biggest" Dept Of Field? Not the shallowest DOF, the "deepest".

In other words, if the larger sensors were cropped down to match those cameras with smaller sensors, so all sensor sizes were EQUAL, which of these cameras would produce the highest quality video with the WIDEST depth of field, and give the kind of quality usable for HD television production?

Everyone on these forums seems VERY concerned about getting a camera that will give them the shallowest DOF possible, but I'm interested in exactly the opposite. I want the deepest DOF I can get with the best quality 1080p HD video. The kind of specialty work we do requires it.

Thanks.

I have a hypothetical question I'd like to throw out there and see what your opinions are. Just humor me and give me your advise and expertise in this area.

IF all these cameras, the RED-One, the Scarlet, the Panasonic GH1, and the Canon 5D Mark II, used EXACTLY THE SAME size/portion of the sensor, which one would produce the BEST quality image with the "biggest" Dept Of Field? Not the shallowest DOF, the "deepest".

In other words, if the larger sensors were cropped down to match those cameras with smaller sensors, so all sensor sizes were EQUAL, which of these cameras would produce the highest quality video with the WIDEST depth of field, and give the kind of quality usable for HD television production?

Everyone on these forums seems VERY concerned about getting a camera that will give them the shallowest DOF possible, but I'm interested in exactly the opposite. I want the deepest DOF I can get with the best quality 1080p HD video. The kind of specialty work we do requires it.

Thanks.

Sorry everyone. I meant to say the upcoming Panasonic AF100, "not" the GH1.

And, it does not matter to my "hypothetical" question whether this camera or the Scarlet are out yet.

If you are using the same size/shape imaging sensor and the same optics on all cameras, they will all have the same depth of field, as these are the two criteria that effect DoF.

"Best quality image" is a loaded question. If we are talking about the Red 1 pre-MX upgade, the dynamic range king would be the GH1, followed by the Canon 5D Mk2, then Red (yes, really) but we are splitting hairs here, they all have about identical useable (not measurable) dynamic range of 8-stops. Test for yourself if you don't believe. However, post MX upgrade, Red is in front with dynamic range, GH1 second, 5D mk2 in last. Resolution based on what the camera can output actually or hypothetically? Actually Red, hypothetically Canon.

What will give you the best 1080p image per $ spent is probably the best question, I used to say it was the Canon HV20, but for the past 13 months, you can't get a greater bang for you buck than the GH1. At $1,189.95 online, it's astoundingly impressive.

Edited by Illya Friedman

• Premium Member

The best/practical/cheapest 1080 image with the deepest DoF might be a Sony EX3 from what I have seen, assuming we are talking digital here.

If money isn't as big a concern, then the SI2K might be a great fit and will give you a lot of image to work with, along with a nice aesthetic.

Why list cameras that aren't practical to use for this application, and why say it's hypothetical but hint otherwise? Just curious.

• Premium Member

Of course now we are talking about 4:2:0 cameras... But I agree that the EX3 may be the best overall choice for max depth of field using macro lenses for a 1080P finish. Until the Scarlet is released that is. There is also the SI2K, which has a 2K RAW 2/3" sensor.

• Premium Member

Interestingly and sort of still on topic, I was talking to the SI2K rep at Cinegear and he said their business had increased lately and it was in part due to many people "coming back" to 2/3" sensor, saying the shallow DoF craze was settling down. He re-stated they had no plans to offer a 35mm sized option.

I can vouch for that camera, if that's worth anything. If more people tested it, I bet more would put it to use for all kinds of projects. Seeing how it mixed with the 35mm shots in "Slumdog" was proof of how well it holds up.