Lighting Lingo

I'm a second year film student and im really interested in the cinematography aspect. I visit this site everyday to understand what the professionals would do in various situations and so far i have learned A LOT. The problem is sometimes the information loses its value when abbreviations are used because some I am not familiar with. Mostly to do with the lighting and camera. I understand general abbreviations like D.p. :) but to help me out, what is the other lingo that is associated with lighting and cameras.

I appreciate your answer

http://www.amazon.com/Set-Lighting-Technicians-Handbook-Fourth/dp/0240810759/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

That's a good reference for a lot of the slang/lingo/jargon. I know it gets a bit tedious to paste unfamiliar abbreviations and such into a google search, but that's always an option as well. Finally folks around here seem pretty open to answering specific questions - if you don't understanding something in a thread, quote it and ask about it. Most of the time someone will share.

• Premium Member

A glossary of our jargon would be quite useful, but also quite a project to compile, as a FAQ here on C.com. Jargon is also a moving target. It's been so long since I've worked in production that I probably wouldn't know most of it.

-- J.S.

• 3 weeks later...

If you just want the lingo used in the industry I recommend "Strike the Baby and Kill the Blonde"

http://www.amazon.com/Strike-Baby-Kill-Blonde-Insiders/dp/1400097592/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278664910&sr=8-1

Its essentally just a glossary of terms used specifically in film production and is a quick read and handy reference to those new to the production world

• 3 weeks later...