Super 8 for theatrical release.....

Wes Shaye

Hi,

Given the fact that Super 8 is not as big as 35mm film, is it possible to release a super 8 film in a theatre?

If its projected at 4:3 it would be just a box on the screen right?

Or.. from what i gather, If you have the gate widened, so your camera captures widescreen, it would fill the screen?

Ive also read that if you shoot further from your subject, when in post, you zoom in and put the letterbox on, its where you envisioned the scene originally.

Does this effect the quality?

Just wondering if anyones released super 8 in a theatre and how it turned out.

Thanks.

Hi,

Given the fact that Super 8 is not as big as 35mm film, is it possible to release a super 8 film in a theatre?

If its projected at 4:3 it would be just a box on the screen right?

Or.. from what i gather, If you have the gate widened, so your camera captures widescreen, it would fill the screen?

Ive also read that if you shoot further from your subject, when in post, you zoom in and put the letterbox on, its where you envisioned the scene originally.

Does this effect the quality?

Just wondering if anyones released super 8 in a theatre and how it turned out.

Thanks.

These days (if ever) it is not practical. What theatres have the projector? If you attempt to fill the large screen it will look like crap.

If you're shooting super 8 you are most likely finishing on video or some digital format which is what they would use in a theatrical release, which can look okay if all the steps, from shooting to telecine to finishing are handled well. Look at Guy's Maddin's work (on a big screen if you can).

Rick

Thanks Rick.

I know the theatres wouldnt have the projectors. Of course, it would be dumped onto a digital format for a theatre. But youre saying it must be done right in order to keep the quality up there.

So why not in a theatre?

Super 8 has been projected in theatres as part of film festivals, it was also used to screen inflight movies. However, that's different to using it as a projection format for a commercial theatrical release of a film. Although, if theatre owner wants to do it as a one off or a limited run of a particular film in their theatre it's not technically impossible.

I assume the question is more about is it possible for a Super 8 film to get a theatrical release.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

• Premium Member

I was able to watch Super 8 screenings on smaller festivals on a regular basis. The projectors (even the HTI converted) just don't have enough power to light a theater screen. A 16mm HTI converted EIKI may do the job... but not a Super 8 projector. That's the reason why most of the festivals have switched to video beamers. If you want your film to be on film i guess you have to blow it up to 35. It will look like a swarm of flies, but hey - that's the style everybody seems to adore, -cropping to 1,85 or else will make things worse.

Thanks for the replies.

Im sorry i left something out.

After my project is shot on super 8, it will be scanned onto a digital format.

When you shoot on a project widescreen on an hd camera (i.e. canon xl1),

wouldnt the final source (to be shown in a theatre) be the same for super 8

because its been dumped to digital, as it would the final source for the hd?

I hope im getting this across clearly enough.

Bare with me im new to this.

Thanks.

Edited by Wes Shaye