how to create a dream like images, fog filter, black pro mist?

Hi,

Im shooting a fantasy/ comedy in a few weeks on super 16. And it's supose to look like a dream. I'm talkin about, foggy mornings, soft images without not to many bright colors. slow talking images etc. I think ill go for some kind of fog filters or black pro mist, to create the illusion of fog. we are shooting very early in the morning, near a lake, so im asking how to create this dream like images and what filter etc. to use. any suggestions? should i stick with my fog filters or any other ideas?

Nick.

post-39749-12772439569832.jpg

Fog and Double-Fog are better for a foggy look than Black ProMist (regular ProMist would be better than Black for fogginess). The Tiffen Smoque filter is also good but needs something bright in the frame to react to.

Thank you David. Does the fogfilter/ dubbel fog filter, requires any particular lightning? My goal is to use only natural light as much as possible. What's the difference between Promist and Fog?

Thanks,

Nick.

• Premium Member

Thank you David. Does the fogfilter/ dubbel fog filter, requires any particular lightning? My goal is to use only natural light as much as possible. What's the difference between Promist and Fog?

Thanks,

Nick.

All these filters are light-scatterers -- mist particles in the glass cause light areas to spread, halate. They mainly vary in the degree of milkiness that cause, and the degree of softening, and some color cast issues (fog filters tend to cause a glow to be blue-ish compared to a ProMist). Fogs and Double-Fogs (which are just a Fog plus a Low Con, they are actually less foggy than Fogs, depending on the strength, but conversely are milkier) are older filter designs (1970's and earlier), ProMists date back to the 1980's. ProMists have a softening quality, not just the hazy foggy look.

The strength of the filter makes a big difference in effect when comparing them.

For a foggy look, I'd stick to Fogs, Double-Fogs, or Smoque filters. No, they don't need lighting but you'll see the effect better around points of light, bright areas, etc. anything that can halate (glow).

Filters are not dimensional like real smoke/fog though where you can have a foggy background but a clear, sharp foreground because close objects are being seen through less fog.

So we are shooting on the SR 3 advanced, but i cant decide what optik to use. I was thinking of using zeiss zoom 11-110 to get a softer feelin instead of using the primes. But it seems that the zoom lens is on service during our time of shooting. so i have to choose what primes to go with...

if i wanna go for a softer feelin', and less saturation in colors...witch on to choose? any suggestions

zeiss ultra

zeiss high speed

cooke sk4 (would be to expensive i guess)

• 7 years later...
  • Premium Member

Sorry to dredge, but David - are the Double Fog's combination of Fog and Low Con?

I'm rekindling my interest filtering after a decade of naturalism and sharp and realistic imagery. I've been using GlimmerGlass on a few projects, but really want to move towards light Fog filtering. Saw some nice tests shot with Double Fog recently and it made me excited again. HAs anyone got any recent projects using light Double Fog?