7D - How do you keep the LCD and HDMI monitor on at the same time?

Morgan Peline

HI,

I'm a shooting a comedy thing on a 7D at the moment. We just realized that you can't keep the HDMI monitor and LCD on at the same time.

In the manual it says that this is impossible. However, I understand there is a hacked firmware upgrade for this....

Doe anyone have more information on this?

Thanks a lot!!!

• 5 months later...

There is sadly no way to do this. It's one or another. The 7D actually doesn't have hacked firmware like the 5D (magic lantern). You can get multiple monitors up and running if you get a powered HDMI splitter to run your signal to multiple external monitors.

Hope that helps, sorry for the bad news.

• Premium Member

As Brian says, the 7D can't display video on both its built-in LCD and output live HDMI at the same time, unfortunately.

Just an FYI: The new Panasonic DMC-GH2 features the ability to display live video in either its built-in EVF or LCD, and full HD, uncluttered 1080i video to an external HDMI monitor, both at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

The LCD isn't that helpful anyway. Jag 35 made an HDMI splitter that allows you to send the signal to two separate monitors at once. If you're in a real pinch you can always go standard def out from camera (phono to rca composite) to a monitor, and then from that monitor to a secondary. Hopefully canons next hdslr that shoots uncompressed raw video, while making daquries can also maintain two signals of video!

Hi there, I posted a topic about the exact same problem not so long ago.

The best suggestion I had was to have a laptop on set, connect to the camera through USB, and use the EOS remote shooting software. Connecting up this way doesnt switch the LCD off, while also being able to view and operate from the laptop...